• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Left/Right Pocket for squares, which is correct?

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is there a rule of thumb when the pocket for the handkerchief should be on the left or right? I've seen them on both sides for a men's jacket. How about the little knot/buttonhole for flowers?

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only ever seen them on the left
eh.gif

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenStyle
I've only ever seen them on the left
eh.gif

No, there are suits with right ones.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I'm referring specifically to the outer pocket for pocket square. I don't own any suits in that style but I was in a vintage store and I saw a few jackets from the 60s and possibly earlier with the outside pocket (for squares) on the right hand side. It strikes me as odd. Is the only way this can happen is that the suits were bespoken for left-handed individuals? I don't see any other reasons for it.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
I'm referring specifically to the outer pocket for pocket square. I don't own any suits in that style but I was in a vintage store and I saw a few jackets from the 60s and possibly earlier with the outside pocket (for squares) on the right hand side. It strikes me as odd. Is the only way this can happen is that the suits were bespoken for left-handed individuals? I don't see any other reasons for it.
Maybe they were made for left handed men?
lol8[1].gif
Seriously, I've never seen [noticed] one and I didn't think Eric Glennie was active in the '60's Have a look over at Sartor's website. He's your man for this type of thing. http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Maybe they were made for left handed men?
lol8[1].gif

Seriously, I've never seen [noticed] one and I didn't think Eric Glennie was active in the '60's

Have a look over at Sartor's website. He's your man for this type of thing.

http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/

Wow. Great site. I thought Ask Andy was the pinnacle.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
On a side note,do ticket pockets strictly have to be on the right hand side?
confused.gif

I assumed they are opposite to the top pocket in order to balance out the visuals. Everything on one side would make the other side look naked.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
On a side note,do ticket pockets strictly have to be on the right hand side?
confused.gif

A lot of these asymmetric details were placed there without questions. I'm very curious as to the answer to this question as well.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of details in tailoring are derived from military considerations, therefore, reflect a practical concern.

Most men 9 in 10 (I believe) are right handed.

This handedness is what drove the placement of breast pockets, ticket pockets and also why we button our coats a certain way.

It is also the reason that we drive on the left in the UK.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
No, there are suits with right ones.

Have you been looking at WAYWRN pics taken in mirrors?
confused.gif

I've seen overcoats or jackets with breast pockets on both sides, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a sportcoat with one just on the right side. Obviously the left side is the usual position, unless you explicitly want to break the 'rules'.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In reference to the lapel buttonhole, I've only ever seen it on the left, besides DB jackets which sometimes have both. I would only use the left, though.

DandySF

Reaction score
I've seen countless photos where a magazine or newspaper will flip an image, either inadvertently or by design. This results in the pocket appearing on the opposite side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads