• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Left Chest Pocket on Suit Sewed Close

Dinky89484

Reaction score
I just got a new suit and the jacket left breast pocket is sewed shut. I want to use pocket squares, do I cut it open?

AncientSoul

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinky89484
I just got a new suit and the jacket left breast pocket is sewed shut. I want to use pocket squares, do I cut it open?
It is usually held together with very weak stitches. They should come off easily.

alexanduh

Reaction score

its like youve never bought a suit before.

Dinky89484

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexanduh
its like youve never bought a suit before.

I have bought suits before, I just never cared to bother with the pocket because I never cared to use pocket squares. Now that I have pocket squares to use, I noticed that the pockets came sewed shut.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I saw someone walking around with basting thread on his shoulders today. I didn't have the nerve to go and explain why that is wrongity wrong with wrongsauce.

I instead, in true iGentstyle I struck an attitude of ironic condescenscion as I passed him.

We were both in Toronto after all.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sometimes see business men with their vents still sewed.
ffffuuuu.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maynard: I think The Gimp's asleep.
Zed: Well, I guess you better go and wake him up then.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only open the chest pocket only if you're certain you've gotten to know a special pocket square that you want to spend the rest of your life with. It is a special moment and you should make sure that you don't regret cutting open the chest pocket with the wrong pocket square that told you he loved you but will only break your heart later.

dasai

Reaction score
I once saw a guy walking around with the sleeve tag still on a new sportcoat. At least, I hope it was new...

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered some Cleverlys, they came with this giant foot-shaped wooden plug stuffed into it. are they defective?

SuitMyself

Reaction score

Use this to unstitch the threads:

chainsaw.jpg

Originally Posted by imatlas

I saw someone walking around with basting thread on his shoulders today. I didn't have the nerve to go and explain why that is wrongity wrong with wrongsauce.

I instead, in true iGentstyle I struck an attitude of ironic condescenscion as I passed him.

We were both in Toronto after all.

You did the right thing, my brother.

Originally Posted by sonlegoman

Only open the chest pocket only if you're certain you've gotten to know a special pocket square that you want to spend the rest of your life with. It is a special moment and you should make sure that you don't regret cutting open the chest pocket with the wrong pocket square that told you he loved you but will only break your heart later.

Unstitching the threads on the jacket's breast pocket is akin to ripping a girl's hymen. It should only be done out of true love, not lust.

Originally Posted by pebblegrain

Ordered some Cleverlys, they came with this giant foot-shaped wooden plug stuffed into it. are they defective?

I think those are butt plugs.

winterwinter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Use this to unstitch the threads:

chainsaw.jpg

You did the right thing, my brother.

Unstitching the threads on the jacket's breast pocket is akin to ripping a girl's hymen. It should only be done out of true love, not lust.

I think those are butt plugs.

butt plugs? might be true.

bigj93702

Reaction score
I once saw a guy walking around with the sleeve tag still on a new sportcoat. At least, I hope it was new... Me too - only sadly it was a Newscaster on TV doing the local Sports scores. I think a lot of people don't know this is a "no no."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads