Leffot + EG complaint

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Patek, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

Oh my, I am very surprised by the sentiments of many here.
    Many of whom would be regarded as Masters of the Universe and run companies affecting the lives of many.

1. Leffot's proft isn't 475 US. Leffot got it probably at 500 to 600 cheaper than what Patek was quoted.
    But thats not their profit either. You have to deduct their S & H and whatever overheads they have.
    It may even be 200 to 300 only.

2. Leffot isn't being vindictive or vengeful. They are protecting their own business by asking EG why is EG undercutting Leffot selling EG shoes?
    This is nothing against Patek.
    There probably is some legal agreement for EG not to sell the shoes themselves.
    This would explain why EG was so fast to cancel Patek's order.
    Its also bad business for EG to undercut Leffot like that.

3. In this whole thing, its Patek who loses.

Leffot is not going to make a sale to Patek the moment EG was willing to sell to Patek at a lower price. So they have no sale to make here at all.
    EG is not going to sell to Patek due to their agreement with Leffot, so they didnt lose a sale.
    Patek loses because now he cant get his shoes unless he swallows his pride and buy from Leffot.

4. Which brings us to the next point - 1.7 G for those shoes are too damn expensive. Even if its from a navy unicorn butt, I won't pay that price.

5. The only thing people got right is that EG is in the wrong. It has already been commented that EG's business practice is poor. EG could have easily told Patek they made a mistake. But like what is mentioned here, EG does not make mistakes.

Patek should get some London consumer affairs folks and not hire a Magic Circle firm to look into the matter and ask EG why they are not able to fulfill their contractual obligations. It would be interesting to hear what EG says.

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It is too expensive to start with ...

1.7 grands for a pair of cordovan...

Patek has lost in the story...

He must have waited to publish his purchase story..

Now ,he is left for a broken working relationship with Leffot and no shoes...

The margin of Leffot must be higher than that...

EG must be selling their models with a decent discount..

3. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

If Leffot committed to buy a certain number of shoes to get the product made they may have zero profit or even a loss. OTOH EG is able to sell the items lower priced because of the order from Leffot. If the retailer doesn't get enough orders for the item does anybody think EG is going to eat the loss? Or are they going to force the retailer to live up to their deal. EG by taking the order ends up getting two orders. One from Leffot for the number they agreed to buy and the one from the OP.

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

You guys don't know shit about retail or what? Do you really think selling some shoes produced in England don't have added costs when you're an American retailer? Even stores run by the same company (say Rick Owens own stores) sell European produced goods for more in the US, there is no magic bullet saving them from that. What is stupid in this situation is that EG would even allow customers from countries where they have distributors to order from them, thus undercutting their own partners.

As for $1700 being too much but $1200 being a good price, boohoo I'm entitled to expensive luxury products at the exact price I want, boohoo.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

5. apropos

apropos Senior member

LOL finally. Ding ding ding.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

6. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I am surprised tha EG quoted 1300 for the shoes. Westminster are 1050 without trees. Add to it extra for cordovan and MTO and 1700 is around what you might expect to pay.

The joker in the pack is that you might have been hit with customs when the shoes entered US ...

7. cdmoore1855

cdmoore1855 Senior member

Edward Green would be selling the shoes to Leffott at considerably less than they are selling them from their own Jermyn St store, sure there is a little import duty to be paid but the mark up seems excessive, especially when they don't have the risk of holding stock they may not sell

8. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

It seems to me that everyone is getting screwed here - at least in terms of public perception.

The smart thing to do would be for Leffot and EG to get together and figure out how to make this customer happy however. As they are the two parties in business together and when you work in a business relationship serving the public you really must keep your business/distribution deals between yourselves - the customer shouldn't ever be aware of such. But....once the cat is out of the bag damage control is all you can do.

If I were the owners of Leffot I would still want to make sure the customer got his shoes, from me, at the same cost as offered by EG. I'd take my loss this one time, be gracious in public, and KICK EG's ASS behind closed doors. EG really goofed here and should 'do right' behind the scenes by providing the shoes to Leffot at a discount.

If I were the OP I'd offer Leffot to split the difference. If I were Loffot I'd graciously accept the offer. After all surely the OP doesn't expect Leffot to offer him service, a brick and morter experience complete with samples etc. etc. for nothing - surely there is a premium to be paid for such - especially in NYC where the cost of doing business is exhorbitant. And the OP had already placed his order with Leffot. As a matter of fact - the OP should think twice about how he is 'using' the owner's of Leffot if he goes into the store to evaluate the product and then attempts to get a better deal directly from the supplier. (Not clear that this happened - just as an example of what goes on every day.)

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Yeah, and furthermore, even if Leffot made the full $475 off a $1775 retail price, that margin for a "distributor" is not uncommon for these kinds of goods. I hope the people who have a problem with that have never shopped at Neiman Marcus or their equivalents...

10. oshinex

oshinex Senior member

I think the best part of this whole issue is that this particular shoe's profits go to the Japan relief effort, something that the OP hoped to avoid paying for.

11. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

Er, why should Leffot and EG make the effort to make OP happy?
    If it doesnt cost Leffot a cent, why not?
    But if Leffot is gonna take a hit, why should they? Because OP fiddled on the internet?
    EG goofed, EG should do something, not Leffot. But since EG make no mistake, so they need not do anything.
    I think in this relationship, Leffot cant kick EG's ASS.

12. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Really? How many companies make shoes? How many retailers currently stock EG in the US? Nothing forces Leffot to not switch to a more pro retailer supplier.

13. HEARTLESS-531

HEARTLESS-531 Senior member

God damn, this guy should be doing the debt negotiating.

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I was wondering about the prices too.
    It sounds like EG quoted the MTO price for calf, not cordovan.

From 2008 http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2008/04/dry-comes-at-price.html

15. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    Lemme see... allowed the order to be cancelled and returned the full deposit to the OP; Leffot has been a true gent here. I can't find fault w/ Leffot protecting its contractural rights and designs. This IP is how it differentiates itself from its competitors. Moreover, EG's correspondence w/ the OP is particularly repellent. EG should have not disclosed Leffot's objections; I would expect EG to treat correspondence w/ the confidentiality it deserves. (Of course we only have EG's word that Leffot objected. It may not be true.) Once EG recognized the error of the order it should have accepted sole responsibilty for its mistake and sought to remedy it w/ the OP. Instead EG passed the buck. There's class for ya.

Several comments re Leffot's "unfair" pricing suggest the customer is being gouged. How would the same commenters feel if I stated they're unfairly overpaid and deserve wage cuts and other disadvantages?

Last I checked the free enterprise system allows the seller to set the price he sees fit. And the very same system does not compel the buyer to suck it up.