Lee Originals

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by robbie, May 11, 2010.

1. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

We have several 'Official' this brand of denim thread/that brand of denim thread.

So I figured I'd start one for Leepro/Lee originals gear.

I have none myself, or I'd start...

i guess I'll start w/ a question instead.

Anyone know of a good source for info about current/past lines from these guys?

2. Earnest Hemingway

Earnest Hemingway Senior member

3. CyanideDragon

CyanideDragon Well-Known Member

4. milosz

milosz Senior member

Warehouse and Real McCoys are both still making Lee-branded Leepros, IIRC. The former are standard models, the latter are patterned partially after famous wearers (McQueen, DeNiro in Taxi Driver, etc.).

5. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

I have the edwin made 101b 1934s. I really like the cut and the denim, but they have turned out to be frail as fuck. I think they use all cotton thread, so I have parts, especially at the cuffs, where the triple stitch has turned to loose threads. + big holes at the cuffs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Razele

Razele Senior member

Yeah edwin's are really really frail

You will get massive holes and crotch explosions really easily

7. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Senior member

OK, I'll play... Lee 1930s Cowboy 101B, with red stitching, Edwin-made. These are terrific value for money, as long as you don't get them from places like the Lee flagship store - try Rakuten or wait for the Okini sale.. Crotch blowouts? Nah... [​IMG] The early Lee Euros were great jeans - fantastic value, around £55 or £60 sterling, with Kiahara fabric. Ages really nicely.I tend to use use them now as work jeans. NIce and funky... [​IMG] THese were my old work jeans.... sold them to Beatle over on SuFu... [​IMG] As you might gather, I like these jeans. Altho I sell them once they're worn in. All of these are just a memory now... [​IMG]

8. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

These are my Lee's, circa 1970 > 1974. No wash. All hand stitched patches by me. Could tell many a good story if they could talk.
    [​IMG]

9. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

The early Lee Euros were great jeans - fantastic value, around £55 or £60 sterling, with Kiahara fabric. Ages really nicely.I tend to use use them now as work jeans. NIce and funky...

[​IMG]

the selvedge roscoes?
    yeah they were nice

10. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Senior member

The Roscoes were pretty good - from memory, those might have been the single "open" selvage jean. Those jeans above are the Euro 101Z replica - came out in the mid 90s, early examples Sanforized with pocket linings, made in Eire, later ones are made in Poland and do shrink (but are made oversized). Later on these changed to a half "open" selvage... there was also a Euro X line with full selvage IIRC, that I've heard good reports of...

11. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

The Roscoes were pretty good - from memory, those might have been the single "open" selvage jean. Those jeans above are the Euro 101Z replica - came out in the mid 90s, early examples Sanforized with pocket linings, made in Eire, later ones are made in Poland and do shrink (but are made oversized). Later on these changed to a half "open" selvage... there was also a Euro X line with full selvage IIRC, that I've heard good reports of...

yeah, the roscoe i was talking about was from the x line, full selvedge.
    excellent jeans for the buck back then

The cheapest dry denim that I have experience with is the Lee's dry selvedge Roscoe from their X-line... Here in Europe they run about Euro 75.... it should be cheaper in the States I think...

Other's have mentioned Gap for cheaper dry selvedge.

edit: The Lee Roscoe has a very similar fit to Nudie's RR... low waist, slight bootcut..

12. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

These are my Lee's, circa 1970 > 1974. No wash. All hand stitched patches by me. Could tell many a good story if they could talk.

I'm guessing the sixties stayed a little longer with you?

13. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

I think my visual intro to Lee are Nemuu's 101 B (or something) fits. He wears them well.

14. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

I kick myself. I found a Storz beer (local, circa 1950's) Lee 91-B with the blanket lining, paid 3 bucks, didn't think too much of it. Liked it, thought maybe I could give it to my dad, shrink it, or grow into it. Hung onto it for about a week, realized it wasn't going to shrink, I wasn't going to grow into, and my dad wouldn't appreciate how cool it was. So I gave it to the one person I thought it might fit, a friends brother. anyhow, surfing Rakuten after I started this thread and found this one http://en.item.rakuten.com/kanful/avj1780784/ [​IMG] [​IMG] shoulda sold it on SuFu Anyhow, Paul... you said there is a Lee originals flagship store. I tried googling it, and the only sites that come up are Cultizm and Oki-Ni. thanks

15. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

Much to the wifes shagrin. I'm in Cambridge though, so all's good and crunchy.

I'm guessing the sixties stayed a little longer with you?