1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

LED tv

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by oneeightyseven, Dec 2, 2009.

1. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

Anyone have any or has enough knowledge to tell me the advantages of them?

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

As compared to? In general, the only advantage LCDs have is that they work relatively well in bright rooms. For any other important aspect of a display, they are beaten by some other kind of technology.

--Andre

edit: oops, I read "LED" as "LCD". Go with what Brian said.

3. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

From what I understand they have the main advantages of LCDs (work better in bright rooms, less power consumption) but have better black level performance, a major weakness of LCDs.

4. ama

ama Senior member

Most (all?) of the LED TVs on the market aren't 100% LED, its just the outer ring. It will be a fantastic technology once it becomes more economically viable.

5. oneeightyseven

I have an LCD in my room now, but I'm looking to buy the new LEDs. I saw them today while furniture shopping and was so suprised at how thin they can make them. What I saw, they actually looked better than the LCDs on display beside them.

6. A Y

A Y Senior member

The really thin sets are edge-lit, meaning the LEDs are on the side, instead of behind the screen. You get a thin profile, but non-uniform brightness across the screen. Backlit LED sets have more uniform lighting, and can do local dimming to get better black levels, but are thicker.

--Andre

7. oneeightyseven

The really thin sets are edge-lit, meaning the LEDs are on the side, instead of behind the screen. You get a thin profile, but non-uniform brightness across the screen. Backlit LED sets have more uniform lighting, and can do local dimming to get better black levels, but are thicker.

--Andre

so the only upside is a thinner set? Seems kind of a waste for thousands more.

When you talk about non-uniform brightness is it really pronounced? Enough so that it would disrupt viewing?

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

so the only upside is a thinner set? Seems kind of a waste for thousands more.

When you talk about non-uniform brightness is it really pronounced? Enough so that it would disrupt viewing?

Some people will pay lots of $$$ for thinner sets, picture quality be damned. I would judge for yourself, but it's usually apparent only on scenes with a black or white swath of color that goes from edge-to-edge.

--Andre

9. oneeightyseven

So I now have a question for you..I have a Bravia XBR; do I:

A) buy a new model XBR LCD
    B) kop a samsung LED
    C) wait a little longer and see what other selection there is for LEDs

*I don't need to buy right away, seeing as I intend to move out at earliest next summer.*

EDIT: in writing this, I kinda see that C is more of the right option.

10. ama

ama Senior member

11. brianja

brianja Senior member

So I now have a question for you..I have a Bravia XBR; do I:

A) buy a new model XBR LCD
    B) kop a samsung LED
    C) wait a little longer and see what other selection there is for LEDs

*I don't need to buy right away, seeing as I intend to move out at earliest next summer.*

EDIT: in writing this, I kinda see that C is more of the right option.

C unless you really want the best in PQ and don't care so much about how thin the set is.

I believe Sony has discontinued their local dimming set the XBR8. It's a great set and if you really want the best LCD for PQ you may still be able to find a few around in stores (this is why you shouldn't wait if this is what you want). They discontinued them because they were a bit costly to produce for them. There is no official news of a model coming out to replace it, so it may be the last of a dying breed.

I have a 55" XBR8 and I am really happy with it.

12. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

C unless you really want the best in PQ and don't care so much about how thin the set is.
    If he really wanted the best in PQ he would get a plasma. [​IMG]

13. chas

chas Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. A Y

A Y Senior member

+1

--Andre

15. oneeightyseven

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

+1

--Andre

are plasmas really better? I heard they have a tendency to burn the images on the screen, is this true?

16. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

are plasmas really better? I heard they have a tendency to burn the images on the screen, is this true?
    Not really, unless you have the same image on for several days.

17. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

Were you forzen for 10 years ? Sort of like Austin Powers?

LED TVs are underperforming even LCD . There is absolutely no reason to buy LED tv.

18. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

This is no longer true. Nor is the idea that they burn out more quickly. I've been looking into TVs for a friend over the last few weeks and at the moment, I'm leaning towards recommending a Panasonic plasma. Originally he was taken with with the idea of a Samsung LED but the top of the line one that I like is around $4k and from reading the reviews that I have, I really can't recommend any others except perhaps an LG which is out of stock everywhere. This is primarily due to issues with darks. The main cons I see discussed with plasmas are the fact that they tend to use more energy leading to higher operating costs over time and also that they can be thicker and heavier. Not sure how true this is currently but I did read one thing about LCDs being better for daytime viewing or with lots of bright lights because there is less glare. Plasmas, due to the glass screens, produce more glare but also have much better blacks (the really expensive LED LCDs are getting close) and are better at night. As was mentioned, LCDs tend to have problems with uniformity of the backlight and also not as good viewing angles. If I had to buy a TV today, I'd get a plasma and sit tight waiting for OLED screens to become affordable. That could be quite a while though. Edit: Also, do some reading on the web on HDGuru, AVSforums or even Gizmodo.

19. oneeightyseven

Were you forzen for 10 years ? Sort of like Austin Powers?

LED TVs are underperforming even LCD . There is absolutely no reason to buy LED tv.

really? Then why is the LED about 1000 more than an LCD?

20. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

really? Then why is the LED about 1000 more than an LCD?
    New technology + marketing. Also, I don't agree that they are underperforming from what little I've read on the topic.