• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lebron

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lebron has been amazing this year.He has improved in every major statistical catorgory. He should put the talk about high schoolers jumping to the league to rest.

alaaro

Reaction score
I dont agree. For every LeBron, theres a handful that come straight from high school who fail.

This definitely is not popular opinion, especially to the NBA, but I think that it should be required that athletes graduate from college. On one hand, it will give them something to fall back on should their career fail, but on the other hand, it will give the correct message to all the kids who look up to the big pro stars.

It will never happen, but I think it should. The NBA needs to take a more responsible stance. They're going to make their money regardless, but if they can send the right message AND make their money, it goes that much further.

TheRookie

Reaction score
The guys on ESPN got this one right the other night - no one pitches a fit about non athletes skipping college. Even the kids that go to college rarely have anything to fall back on - it's common knowledge that athletes are held to lesser (nonexistent) academic standards. College is just a holding pen until the draft.

As for the alternative argument, that the influx of youngsters is ruining the league, the owners are drafting them and the fans continue to buy tickets.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with The Rookie.

Does it hurt the quality of play? I think so. Nevertheless, wouldn't we all prefer Lebron in the NBA than at Kentucky or Texas or Illinois? He clearly has the talent

The guys who were drafted out of high school but have not had excellent careers in the NBA are not necessarily failures. Someone in that situation should have a sizeable amount of money in the bank, more than enough to put themselves through school, legitimately.

As far as Lebron goes, even if he stunk it up on the court, how many millions does he have guaranteed from Nike and the Cavs? Quite possibly more than the collective lifetime earnings of the members of this forum, or at least for any individual. I know money is far from the only thing, but that helps.

Eric

Reaction score
Actually, more than half the straight outta high school players have been great. NBA scouts really know what they are doing.

Eric

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very few of the high schoolers have been complete busts. 4 out of the 5 best players in the world came straight from college. Kobe, T-Mav,Garnett, Lebron,J.O'neal... well maybe more like 5 out of the 8 best players.And aside from elite player Darius Miles is an ok player,and Dwight Howard is working out to be a good player.
I don't see what Labron could gain in going to college to play basketball, if he wants to go for education he can go during his vacations.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, but I can see what GMs can gain by not drafting high-school players. Look at the Bulls (oh, my Bulls.). Curry and Chandler have been a major disappointment. The team has been essentially unwatchable for years, and they aren't helping.

I think in a way it's just shifting tides. Baseball GMs drafted heavily out of high school for a long time, picking up big hitters and pitchers. But it takes forever to season those guys, and the gamble is so much higher. It's worth it to draft out of HS for the absolute top-tier, bonafide superstar players, but for anyone else, it is a waste.

Eric

Reaction score
Lets not forget Moses Malone and Shawn Kemp.

Eric

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For every Lebron James, Kobe, and Garnett, there are two times as many Korleone Youngs and Leon Derricks.

koji

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Got LeBron in my fantasy league with Marion, Dwayne Wade and Boozer. Had Artest, too...
smile.gif

TheRookie

Reaction score
For every Lebron James, Kobe, and Garnett, there are two times as many Korleone Youngs and Leon Derricks. koji
Yeah, but those are 18 year olds - adults - making adult decisions to skip college. Even if there was a minimum age requirement, say 21, none of these kids would finish school. They'd still be degreeless when the NBA didn't work out (no points for 3 years of college if you don't get a diploma). It's not like their lives end if they declare and then don't get drafted. They still have every right to attend college sans basketball, play in Europe, etc.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The guys who were drafted out of high school but have not had excellent careers in the NBA are not necessarily failures. Someone in that situation should have a sizeable amount of money in the bank, more than enough to put themselves through school, legitimately.
That's assuming you get drafted in the first round. If not, and you drop to the second, you don't get a guaranteed contract so its not like they're guranteed those millions.

And, for some of these young men, it hurt them to try to make the jump. They could have developed their game, so that by the time they entered the draft, they were ready and would actually get picked. Also, it hurts the game of basketball as well. They don't come in with the necessary fundamentals, and its too late in the NBA to learn it.

big balla

Reaction score
He has so much upside, that it wouldnt suprise me if he eventually surpassed jordan as the best ever.

And that's quoting numerous NBA talent scounts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads