1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

leaving the label outside of t-shirts so that the brand is visible to others

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hermes man, Jun 15, 2011.

1. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

Hermes Man and Reevolving are my two favorite posters on SF. Also, does anyone else pronounce it "HER-meez" in their head when reading his posts? For some reason, I bet that's how he pronounces it, and I want to do him justice.

"Weird Meats" turned out to be MetroStyles, btw. Thought everyone knew that at this point. I mean, don't get me wrong; it was genius trolling. But he wasn't a real person, sadly.

Didn't know that, but now that you say it it makes sense. Pure Genius, Metro should have his own show like Howard Stern. Funny guy, miss him on SF.

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Im sitting here cancelling everything I can, because I lost my job this week

Ouch, sorry to hear that. You're one of the coolest members of the fora. I hope its short lived bro.

3. eddievddr10

sorry to hear, hope you bounce back quickly.

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Spoo, your avatar=[​IMG] from gianni to hermes man, what a journey!
    My exact same thought. Laughed out loud in the office when I saw it. In terms of actual advice (in the spirit of this post) you are definitely poor and completely lacking style to only spend $400 on a t-shirt. http://store.unionlosangeles.com/pro...ocket-tee-giza I buy these in bulk and then have them embroidered (in gold thread, obviously) with my initials, the Gucci Gs, LVs, Michael Bastian's initials, and the price tag barcode/SKU. Your move.

5. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

I should've read the thread befo' answering. Damn you Hermes Man! [​IMG]

6. tennisguru

tennisguru Senior member

HermesMan, what do you do for a living? From your photo's you look about 12, but I'm assuming you have a reasonable job to be able to drop so much on 'fashion' items?!

Cheers

7. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

^ that's weird meats.

Should we be concerned you can remember his nick almost instantaneously?

8. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

HermesMan, what do you do for a living? From your photo's you look about 12, but I'm assuming you have a reasonable job to be able to drop so much on 'fashion' items?!

Rich parents most likely, he does indeed seem rather young to have a highly paid job.

I did meet quite a few young people with a similar outlook to our 'Hermes Man', when I was working at an expensive private English language school in Hangzhou. Start of every semester, the students would turn up with the parents in their Mercs, BMWs, Porsches, Ferraris, Lexus', Bentleys, etc.

9. eddievddr10

Should we be concerned you can remember his nick almost instantaneously?

Not at all, i'll never forget that thread, i was literally ROLFMAO

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Hahaha, awesome post [​IMG]! It is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. You should have just bought a Gucci GG shirt or Emporio Armani where they put that wing / shield / eagle logo (fuck, I dont know what that symbol represents). Seriously, worry less about the logo and more about how you look. Shirt does not look all that bad, I like it because it does not have a logo [​IMG]
    Thats really awesome. It was about time I got a new avatar.
    Classic [​IMG]

11. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

12. razl

razl Senior member

[​IMG]

i feel insecure if there is no hint of what brand of tshirt i am wearing

You should take out the "man" part from your name; maybe even replace it with something like "fuckwad".

13. Minarchist

Minarchist Senior member

Y'know, for the price of two of those shirts you could get yourself a really nice camera...to take pictures that don't suck...

I can't decide if this is epic trolling or just plain epic.

14. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

Did you include the guy who wanted to use his penis skin (after his transexual operation), as his wallet?

[​IMG] I had forgotten about that thread.
    someone needs to up it.

15. bigchris1313

bigchris1313 Senior member

Hypothesis: having wealthy Chinese/otherwise Asian parents is a superpower that can be used for good or evil.

Example: Hermes Man could get on a plane to Hong Kong and spend the price of 3 of these T-Shirts commissioning a Chan.

16. dsmolken

dsmolken Senior member

I know that Hermes Man's approach is alien to SF values, but...

Wearing clothes that look obviously expensive even to people who haven't seen a whole lot of expensive clothes in their life can be much more rational and reasonable than wearing subtle, restrained and tasteful expensive clothes. Unless you live in a very stable and stratified Western society and don't have any meaningful social interactions with people who don't have Ivy League degrees, it's not such a dumb idea to wear clothes that say whatever they say about you loudly and clearly.

Sure, leaving the tag outside the shirt is probably a little too loud and clear - a $400 T-shirt should hopefully look obviously different than a $10 T-shirt even to someone who's never seen a $400 T-shirt in person. In the vast majority of the world, though, some degree of label-whoring is just plain smarter than avoiding logos.

17. howbah

howbah Senior member

so recently i just bought a giorgio armani t-shirt for around 400$usd (i actually paid full retail without discount for the first time on GA items..) anyway here is the t-shirt [​IMG] i feel insecure if there is no hint of what brand of tshirt i am wearing, many other brands they sometimes give discreet and subtle hint of the brand however for Giorgio Armani there is not a single hint telling others what brand it is.. so i felt compelled to leave the logo hanging outside in order to let others aware of my t-shirts brand.. [​IMG] [​IMG] so do you think it would look weird if I purposely leave the label hanging outside like this
    No, it doesn't look as if that's going to work. The label is awfully small, so unless somebody stands really close behind you (and reads upside down) they're not going to be impressed.

18. jawzzy

jawzzy Well-Known Member

HermesMan, come here. Sidebar.
    OK, it's time to up your game. Buying ostentatious designer clothing is like the elementary school of dressing to show off your money. Amateur level stuff, and some people never graduate. You know what is way cooler? Wearing a subtle bespoke suit or something expensive and beat up. Right now everyone can see that you're desperately trying to show off the little money you have instead of people realizing that you have too much to care about the tag on some crappy t-shirt. It reeks of desperation and if you really wanted to up your game you would go way more subtle. The wealthy Westerners you are trying to imitate are way, way beyond this stage in dressing to show off their money. It's time to catch up. edit: Would you ever hear someone who was actually really wealthy and had a great sense of style bragging about how they, for the first time, didn't buy something on sale? No, no you wouldn't.

19. VelvetGreen

VelvetGreen Senior member