• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leaving a Job: Is this Usual?

dexterhaven

Reaction score
Last week I told my boss I got a better offer and was leaving. I gave plenty of notice (a month). The boss was fine with it but wanted me to send some kind of email to everyone in the office announcing the fact. I kind of hemmed and hawed about it and didn't do it. To me it seems like a fool thing to do. But I don't have a lot of experience in this area, so I ask you: is this standard procedure or just some stupid quirk of the boss's?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Are you in a high position, have you been there a long time? If so that's not unusual at all.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dexterhaven
Last week I told my boss I got a better offer and was leaving. I gave plenty of notice (a month). The boss was fine with it but wanted me to send some kind of email to everyone in the office announcing the fact. I kind of hemmed and hawed about it and didn't do it. To me it seems like a fool thing to do. But I don't have a lot of experience in this area, so I ask you: is this standard procedure or just some stupid quirk of the boss's?

That's not standard. Usually your boss will send out an email saying "So and So is leaving ... while he was here he did...we wish him luck." It sounds like your boss might lack leadership skills.

dexterhaven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Are you in a high position, have you been there a long time? If so that's not unusual at all.

**** no. I'm a grunt. Been there about a year and a half.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so just send out an e-mail thanking the company and people, etc.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dexterhaven
**** no. I'm a grunt. Been there about a year and a half.

Send out an email saying: "My boss is too ******* stupid to do this himself. He sucks to work for and that's why I'm leaving."

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
Send out an email saying: "My boss is too ******* stupid to do this himself. He sucks to work for and that's why I'm leaving."

Perfect.
lol8[1].gif

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Perfect.
lol8[1].gif

Until it comes time to search for another job...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joenobody0
That's not standard. Usually your boss will send out an email saying "So and So is leaving ... while he was here he did...we wish him luck." It sounds like your boss might lack leadership skills.
+1. your boss should be doing this, not you.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Other posters are right that the boss should be doing this kind of communication, but frankly I'd jump at the chance. This is your opportunity to go out on a high note with good feelings left in all your former co-workers who might be in a position to help you some day. Were I in your position I would send a personal email to every co-worker you dealt with on a daily basis. Tell him or her you enjoyed working together, throw in some personal anecdote about how you appreciated the time, and if there's ever anything you can do to help them please contact you at your new place of employment.

veneto

Reaction score
More importantly, what do you have to lose by sending the email? Even if you have no intention of using your former boss as a reference, it is a good way to keep people liking you.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

dexterhaven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by veneto
More importantly, what do you have to lose by sending the email? Even if you have no intention of using your former boss as a reference, it is a good way to keep people liking you.
Nothing, I guess. But I've already told the people who I know well that I'm leaving. To everybody else I'm less than a blip on the radar, as they are to me. It just seems silly to email them about it.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your boss is doing you a favor. most places would show you the door without letting you send an email. this way gives you the opportunity to say something pleasant and leave your contact info

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads