• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leaving a Job: Is this Usual?

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by veneto
More importantly, what do you have to lose by sending the email? Even if you have no intention of using your former boss as a reference, it is a good way to keep people liking you.

this.

i work for an international company, so i don't really have a lot of experience in etiquette for US companies, but when my co-workers left, we usually sent out our own e-mails or we would have a going away party where they announced it themselves or whatnot.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
... and this would be the best time to tell that lady in the office that you'd like to do her.

oldseed

Reaction score
as others have said in this thread, the wise thing to do is to send that email to everybody thanking them and telling them how wonderful they are and how you've enjoyed it there.

this is clearly an opportunity from your boss to give you a nice send off. think about it. the other option is he sends an email out -- if he did this, people will wonder if you left of your own accord or if you were fired. sending out an email means you go out with class.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he's basically putting your situation in your hands. Giving your co-workers the chance to know that you've had fun, chose to leave (were not forced out) and allows you leave contact details.

Don't forget that while you may not have noticed other people, they may have noticed you by reputation. I've often been contacted by people I've rarely spoken to, offering me opportunities that would not have otherwise been available.

chas

Reaction score
I agree with the sentiments above. You won't be a grunt forever and you will soon learn that your reputation is all you have. This is a free chance to strengthen that reputation in the minds of others.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
your boss is doing you a favor. most places would show you the door without letting you send an email. this way gives you the opportunity to say something pleasant and leave your contact info

+1

I'd never let anybody do this - I'd write the email for them. **** them.

dexterhaven

Reaction score
^ And here I was thinking my boss was a dick. Thanks for the insight, guys. I guess I am going to write that email.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
If you are a close team and people like you, it is courteous to send a good bye email and leave them your contact details incase anyone is DTF.

It's not like he's sending an email out as an official communication.

Deal with it.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
If you are a close team and people like you, it is courteous to send a good bye email and leave them your contact details incase anyone is DTF.

I

If the team is close and people like him they'd probably take him out for lunch or drinks. I remember when I left my old gig I actually emailed a contact at another company I worked with often and gave her my personal-professional email (what I generally used for job applications, not for fun) and told her we could stay in touch. She ended up emailing me this long essay about her hobbies and what she liked to do. She had a sexy as hell voice. Her picture though...
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads