Leaving a job before you start?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by texas_jack, Jul 21, 2016.

1. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

So I accepted an offer for a new job on Monday and of fucking course a recruiter for the kind of job I really want called later that afternoon. I told them I have to decide on first offer by Aug 1 which is partially true because aug 1 is the start date for the first offer which I actually already accepted. Any tips on making this as smooth as possible? I guess there is no nice way to do it.

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

and either way I win since both pay a lot more than current job I'm leaving.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I say just interview with the preferred employer and if you get the offer, withdraw from the original one by saying an unexpected opportunity you just couldn't pass up came around and that you're terribly sorry for the situation you're leaving them in. Gotta rip the bandaid so to speak but be apologetic about it at the very least.

Shitty situation and you'll most likely burn bridges with them, but you gotta do you.

Either way, congrats!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Just talked to the recruiter and they pay less than the offer I accepted. Oh well, I don't want to get in that industry THAT bad. Moving on...

5. kwilliamson

kwilliamson Member

great decision. Move on..

6. BlackerBlack

BlackerBlack Member

Had a similar situation... move on.