• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather

HitMan009

Reaction score
With all the different leathers out there, I was wondering what are the inherent properties of each and the postive/negative aspects. For example, cordovan leather properties are that there are no pores and the leather is relatively thick compared to say calfskin. Cordovan I understand is naturally waterproof and extremely good with wear. Can someone tell me the properties or deerskin, calfskin, lambskin, ostrich, alligator, etc. There are too many for me to name.

alchimiste

Reaction score
The main property of alligator is that it is for farmers (is ostrich for farmers too?).
Alligator and ostrich look quite different from calf, I guess that the #1 reason for buying them.

Mathieu

Jill

Reaction score
Is this question about leather, as it pertains to shoes/boots? Because the most desireable attributes of shoe leather wouldn't work too well on gloves, for instance, and vice-versa.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Well, it seems if I ask for an inch, I get a feet. Quite difficult to read though....
confused.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just printed out that gargantuan piece on leather in the link Ron gave. It seems like everything you could wish to know about leather and then some. My one concern is that it comes from the classic 1911 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. Is there a possibility that it just might be a bit dated? I should imagine that there has been some technological progress in tanning procedures, etc., in the past 94 years.
confused.gif

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should imagine that there has been some technological progress in tanning procedures, etc., in the past 94 years

Well, companies like Johnston & Murphy and Cole Haan have revolutionized the industry by convincing customers that cardboard and plastic are better alternatives to leather, so I guess so...but the traditional methods are still in place at the better-end.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For shoes/boots:

alligator: very delicate--especially the large scales
lizard: delicate
anteater: delicate
kangaroo: very durable
elephant: extremely durable
ostrich: very durable
stingray: extremely durable
elk/deer/etc: durable

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
I just printed out that gargantuan piece on leather in the link Ron gave. It seems like everything you could wish to know about leather and then some. My one concern is that it comes from the classic 1911 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. Is there a possibility that it just might be a bit dated? I should imagine that there has been some technological progress in tanning procedures, etc., in the past 94 years.
confused.gif
As anyone who has seen "Born Rich" can tell you, they dumbed down the EB to make more money from poor people. All the articles were better in the old days. At least in the opinion of Cody Franchetti, the Italian textile heir/clotheshorse/obnoxious snob.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of people have felt the EB reached its apogee with the 11th (1911) edition--corresponding to the fortunes of the British Empire, perhaps? My second wife had a set of the 11th edition that she cherished. Of course, it went with her when we broke up--one of the very few things I regretted about seeing the last of that vicious devil.
devil.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of people have felt the EB reached its apogee with the 11th (1911) edition--corresponding to the fortunes of the British Empire, perhaps?
Perhaps, but that would be purely coincidental; by this time, Britannica was American owned and operated. Its full operation would be in America a short time thereafter. Sorry to hear about your second wife...her Britannica, I mean.
wink.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the sympathy about the encyclopedia, Teacher. You haven't been in these fora too long, but you definitely impress me as one of the good guys. I don't recollect ever having consulted her 11th edition Britiannica in the relatively short time we were together, but it was a nice thing to have. I have no idea what ever happened to my second wife, BTW. I ran into her mother a couple of years after our divorce had become final, and her mother informed me she had vanished about the time our divorce was finalized. Her family had not heard from her since. Her mother seemed very insouciant about the whole business. The presumption was that her daughter was simply "doing a number," not that there was any suspicion of foul play. I could easily understand. She was such a great, powerful, vicious brute of a woman she was scarcely more likely to be stuffed in a car trunk and abducted by a fiend than, say, Stone Cold Steve Austin would be.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the compliment, JL. Are you serious about your ex-wife? I feel a little bad about making light of her absense...not, I can see, that there's any love lost between you.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need for any apologies, my paedagogical friend. Yeah, I am totally serious about my second wife's disappearance. (Not that I ever wanted to see her again.
mad.gif
Her mother was so nonchalant about the matter it was evident that she was not worried about her daughter's fate--her daughter was evidently just being her charming self by having cut off all ties to her family. To clarify matters, the woman was 6' 1 1/2" tall and had a great strapping build. She had been an NCAA women's basketball star. She also had an extremely combative personality. Thus, she would have been a most unlikely candidate to have fallen victim to a sexual predator or anything of that sort. Anyway, I probably shouldn't overload a clothing forum with reminiscences of my sordid past.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads