• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather watch strap smells terrible -- please advise

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smells like rancid curry. How do you clean these things?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
REPLACE

Next time, for casual/everyday wear, get waterproof/resistant leather straps.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfume it with Caron's Coup de Fouet.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marinate in fabreeze(sp?) and broil for 1hr.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do Not Want

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know how they say not to wear one pair of shoes every day...give a day off, right? It's best if you have a few watches in rotation, or if you have one (or favor one) put it on a bracelet (especially if you sweat a lot), or you can rotate the strap from time to time (every few weeks). At the very least, don't sleep with your watch on. Some folks put their watches on the bracelet for the summer.

You can clean it with alcohol, it may help, but once you notice your strap smells, it may be too late to save it. If you favor one watch most days, you should look to replace your strap every year or two. Look on timezone.com for good deals on replacement straps.

Septavius

Reaction score
I've had this problem before. You can reduce this from happening by wiping down the watch strap, the backside of the watch, and your wrist when it starts getting sweaty. Allow each a few minutes to dry before putting the watch back on.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See those holes on the leather strap? You can use them to make it looser

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Perfume it with Caron's Coup de Fouet.

There's not enough Caron love around these parts...

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh yeah thanks for the advice guys (especially Tarmac with two joke replies) but it doesn't smell because of sweat (I don't think). A) I rarely sweat, b) only one part of the strap smells, c) I haven't had it very long. Also, it doesn't smell like sweated-on leather. I think I must've gotten something on it, I don't know what. Is there no general way to clean them? I'll try alcohol if it won't rot it or something.

manouche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Smells like rancid curry. How do you clean these things?

DOn't wear the same strap 2 days in a row, like for shoes !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads