• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Wallets - Hermes and Louis Vuitton

dreamtripper

Reaction score
I need to get a new wallet and looked at a few at the Hermes and LV shops.

LV had a lot of canvas and textured leathers which I didn't care for. The few plain leather wallets they had did not look that great in both leather quality and finishing. Several of the wallets appeared to have the sides fused together

The Hermes wallets on the other hand looked good and appeared to be well made. However, there is also price premium for Hermes.

My third option is Swaine Adeney. I have several bags & cases from SAB and have generally been pleased with them. They have also done some custom work for me so I could possibly specify a custom order for a wallet if so desired.

The easiest, but also most expensive option would be to purchase the Hermes wallet. I'm okay with this, but wondering if the price premium is somewhat justifiable i.e. am I paying more for name/brand recognition than quality of goods.

Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome!

Last edited:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ettinger, Launer, Smythsons. At least three other (quality) options for you. All can be purchased online.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The easiest, but also most expensive option would be to purchase the Hermes wallet. I'm okay with this, but wondering if the price premium is somewhat justifiable i.e. am I paying more for name/brand recognition than quality of goods.
Yes, superb quality and longevity. Well worth the cost, IMO.

ismelllikepoop

Reaction score
not sure what kind of expectations you have if you think LV wallets are poor quality. you can talk all you want about value or overpriced, but i wouldnt call them out for bad finishing or quality.

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two LV wallets, one of them being 5 years old, and it's still holding up really well.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't particularly like LV wallets because they appear overly branded, but don't be fooled, you're paying for brand name with either. In addition to the others mentioned, I'd pop into Barney's and look at Valextra. You can find some of the more interesting colors Hermes offers, along with more nondescript exterior designs and few if any will realize what you're carrying until they see the inside pockets.

HLow

Reaction score
Hermes craftsmanship is supreme, and you are paying them to keep the artisans in business (also to attract new artisans into the trade). You will cry when you pay for it, but 10 years down the road, you will smile when the same wallet is still holding strong.

I own an LV wallets and some fused parts are coming undone (just one year old), i could post pictures if you want to see.

- Hughes

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would figure a Hermes Vs LV fight would result in LV being knocked out in the first round. Comparing these two brands is like comparing a VVS1 Diamond to Cubic Zirconia.

However, that does not mean LV is necessarily bad.

8 posts about Hermes wallets and no green breast mention? SF I am disappoint.

LOL.

Last edited:

thejollyco

Reaction score
i would like to see some pictures if you don't mind... i'm kinda curious

Naka

Reaction score
If anyone is looking for a Green Breast Wallet, there is one at my local Hermes store, and I'd be happy to proxy it for you. The SA informed me that a monogram is not available, but apart from that detail is an exact match to Mafoofan's. PM me for a piece of SF history! I had to do everything to keep myself from bursting out in laughter when the SA showed it to me, it was magical :foo:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

dreamtripper

Reaction score
Thanks all, at this point I'm leaning towards the Hermes. I carry a wallet everyday so it is a little bit of a difficult purchase to make on-line without being able to put some cards/cash in it and seeing how it feels in my pocket. I might see if they can make a custom one as I didn't like most of the colours that were in stock. There was a reddish/brown coloured leather that was pretty nice though.

I briefly looked at the long thread on the green breast pocket wallet. Style is an individual thing and though I'm sure it is a great wallet, I personally didn't care for it. I read though a few pages and wasn't also quite sure what the fuss was about!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads