• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Wallets - Hermes and Louis Vuitton

WiseMenOfGotham

Reaction score
I recently had the same issue as you when I was looking for a slim wallet. Hermes didn't carry anything that worked for me, so the SA recommended to try LV (I was surprised). I purchased a slim card wallet from them and while it's not Hermes quality, it doesn't feel cheap at all. I do not care for all the branding so I purchased the Damier Graphite pattern. If I could do it again, I would have my current LV slim wallet style made in grain leather by April in Paris- Hermes quality with LV pricing seems like win win to me.

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no-where close to buying anything form Hermes any time soon, but I was wondering: Would Hermes be willing to repair their items some years after purchase, if repairs are ever needed?

dreamtripper

Reaction score

I'm no-where close to buying anything form Hermes any time soon, but I was wondering: Would Hermes be willing to repair their items some years after purchase, if repairs are ever needed?

Supposedly so. I explicitly asked this question at well.

I recently had the same issue as you when I was looking for a slim wallet. Hermes didn't carry anything that worked for me, so the SA recommended to try LV (I was surprised). I purchased a slim card wallet from them and while it's not Hermes quality, it doesn't feel cheap at all. I do not care for all the branding so I purchased the Damier Graphite pattern. If I could do it again, I would have my current LV slim wallet style made in grain leather by April in Paris- Hermes quality with LV pricing seems like win win to me.

Hermes had a nice slim card case type wallet with a silk lining in the store. I think it might have been a new model.

sns23

Reaction score
I like LV canvas wallets/card holders. Very durable.

paradoxical3

Reaction score
Might I suggest a Tom Ford wallet?

I went through the same dilemma that you did and settled on a Tom Ford design. They are more reasonably priced than Hermes and the quality is really top notch. One year later it literally looks brand new after being thrown in my pocket every single day and not babied at all.

Winam

Reaction score
Nice idea. Had a look at the tom ford wallets and i like them. Might get one

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like the berluti wallets, great patina

ThatGuy

Reaction score
I have a Nomade leather wallet. Got it 3 years ago and not a stitch has come lose. However, it has darkened due to the untreated nature of the wallet and stains from jeans.

I think the LV lines that are still made in France are of higher quality.

Note, this excludes the canvas stuff

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a black leather LV wallet. I think the line is called Utah leather. I have been very impressed with suppleness of the leather and the construction. It looks brand new after a year of being bit to smithereens. There's a very discreet logo.

I wasn't too keen on the Hermes designs, but they are top of the line. Of course you're paying for the name partly with these things but with that name comes the particular aesthetic.

Michigan Al

Reaction score
Forget the foreign stuff go for the foreign sounding stuff. Bosca. I have used a series of their single fold wallets for cards and ID's for years.I bought two at an old line luggage store in Traverse City last summer. They are really well made and a great value. Love the blog. I linked to it after a mention on Ivy Style regarding a Corbin madras patch jacket. I recently bought a Corbin patchwork jacket that looks like a quilt. Originally sold at Jacobsons in Michigan. Great stuff.

Al

HLow

Reaction score
LV quality:
Stitching is tight and straight (machine stitched and it better be), folded over leather is done well but the fusing done with glue really leaves much to be desired. The lined card compartments are splitting too. All these after very light usage for less than a year.

Fused part splitting

Closeup:

i would like to see some pictures if you don't mind... i'm kinda curious

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LV quality:
Stitching is tight and straight (machine stitched and it better be), folded over leather is done well but the fusing done with glue really leaves much to be desired. The lined card compartments are splitting too. All these after very light usage for less than a year. 

Fused part splitting

Closeup:

Yeah I had that issue with my LV wallet 5 years ago or so. It lasted about 8 months before issues started with decent usage.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
???? LV wallet I had gave me good service for a number of years without pulling apart at the seams. Is it possible newer production models are inferior quality to older models?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think there is a HUGE difference in quality between LV and Hermes. not that i think LV falls apart or anything, but i'm not a fan of the type of leather they use. Hermes, on the other hand just screams top quality and the leather is butter soft.

my wallet is not a Hermes but my wife has a couple of Hermes wallets. superlative stuff but x3 the cost of equivalent LV or Valextra.

BTW just to throw another marque into the mix i was very impressed by the Bottega Veneta women's wallets when my wife dragged me into their shop last month. do they make men's wallets?

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as monogrammed pieces go, I prefer Maison Goyard to LV. You should check out Valextra, Smythson, RLPL, Cartier and Bottega Veneta as well. I will second the reccomendation for the TF wallets, I checked out some of them at his BH store, they're very nice; thick, supple leather. There was a lot of gator/croco (Spoo) stuff there too...

LV is not really in the same league as Hermes, the latter uses much better quality of leather. A lot of the LV stuff I've seen has been very flimsy, actually I thought some of the Chanel card cases were nicer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads