1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Wallets - Hermes and Louis Vuitton

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamtripper, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Winam

Winam New Member

Nice idea. Had a look at the tom ford wallets and i like them. Might get one

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

2. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

i like the berluti wallets, great patina

3. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

I have a Nomade leather wallet. Got it 3 years ago and not a stitch has come lose. However, it has darkened due to the untreated nature of the wallet and stains from jeans.

I think the LV lines that are still made in France are of higher quality.

Note, this excludes the canvas stuff

4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I have a black leather LV wallet. I think the line is called Utah leather. I have been very impressed with suppleness of the leather and the construction. It looks brand new after a year of being bit to smithereens. There's a very discreet logo.

I wasn't too keen on the Hermes designs, but they are top of the line. Of course you're paying for the name partly with these things but with that name comes the particular aesthetic.

5. Michigan Al

Michigan Al New Member

Forget the foreign stuff go for the foreign sounding stuff. Bosca. I have used a series of their single fold wallets for cards and ID's for years.I bought two at an old line luggage store in Traverse City last summer. They are really well made and a great value. Love the blog. I linked to it after a mention on Ivy Style regarding a Corbin madras patch jacket. I recently bought a Corbin patchwork jacket that looks like a quilt. Originally sold at Jacobsons in Michigan. Great stuff.

Al

6. HLow

HLow Senior member

LV quality:
    Stitching is tight and straight (machine stitched and it better be), folded over leather is done well but the fusing done with glue really leaves much to be desired. The lined card compartments are splitting too. All these after very light usage for less than a year.

Fused part splitting
    [​IMG]

Closeup:
    [​IMG]

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah I had that issue with my LV wallet 5 years ago or so. It lasted about 8 months before issues started with decent usage.

8. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

???? LV wallet I had gave me good service for a number of years without pulling apart at the seams. Is it possible newer production models are inferior quality to older models?

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i think there is a HUGE difference in quality between LV and Hermes. not that i think LV falls apart or anything, but i'm not a fan of the type of leather they use. Hermes, on the other hand just screams top quality and the leather is butter soft.

my wallet is not a Hermes but my wife has a couple of Hermes wallets. superlative stuff but x3 the cost of equivalent LV or Valextra.

BTW just to throw another marque into the mix i was very impressed by the Bottega Veneta women's wallets when my wife dragged me into their shop last month. do they make men's wallets?

10. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

As far as monogrammed pieces go, I prefer Maison Goyard to LV. You should check out Valextra, Smythson, RLPL, Cartier and Bottega Veneta as well. I will second the reccomendation for the TF wallets, I checked out some of them at his BH store, they're very nice; thick, supple leather. There was a lot of gator/croco (Spoo) stuff there too...

LV is not really in the same league as Hermes, the latter uses much better quality of leather. A lot of the LV stuff I've seen has been very flimsy, actually I thought some of the Chanel card cases were nicer.

11. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

i have a bottega cardholder really well made , i picked it up at a saks off 5th for like 30 dollars have it a year and half and i abuse it , its still holding up well

12. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

I have an LV wallet and it is well built and lasted about 5 years. It is the Nomad or whatever they call it. I like it...

13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Im a big fan of Smythson wallets/leather goods. Really great stuff, and a nice selection of hides, too.

14. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Yes, they make men's. I've seen them available at Barney's and sometimes on Blue Fly. Never been a fan of the woven pattern but have also heard only the best about quality. Prices are closer to LV or Valextra than Hermes.

15. dafein

dafein Member

16. TimelesStyle

Meh, their stuff isn't constructed particularly well (glued pieces, etc.) but you're right, the saffiano leather itself is pretty durable. If price isn't an issue I'd check out Valextra (similar style, about $90 more) or perhaps Launer (should be a little less but from what I hear, excellent quality leather and workmanship.

17. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

thanks. i always thought the weave was too old fashioned but it's growing on me. if i get one it would have to be a crazy color, not black or dark brown.

now the Prada wallets i do have some experience with. mine was shit.

18. dafein

dafein Member

Thanks, that's helpful-- I want to avoid the glued pieces. Valextra is a good suggestion (I have looked) but I'm not particularly fond of the stitchwork. It doesn't look as clean to me.

Any thoughts on Smythson?

19. TimelesStyle

No experience there, but I think they are well liked here. What is it about the Valextra stitching you find objectionable? I agree that on those pieces using contrasting colors that it is a bit much. In fact that's exactly why I bought my card case in navy instead of tan; the navy used dark blue thread while the tan used light green which stood out in the wrong way, particularly since the fusing on the sides was in black (though I don't know if folding wallets require such fusing).

20. dreamtripper

dreamtripper Senior member

Ended up getting the Hermes.

Point of interest, custom is possible but needs to be approved by Paris which takes 1-2 weeks. The main downside once approved is that the piece takes a little while to make: >6 months and as much as 2 years in some cases. Best thing appears to be to get something in stock if at all possible.