1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Leather vs. Rubber soles.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mobeme, Aug 24, 2013.

1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Nick, no doubt you are busy doing the very things that put you in an exceptional position to discuss - in a current context - all manner of shoes related issues. Whenever you can find the time to share with us here, it is greatly appreciated.

2. useroo

useroo New Member

It's not just Allen Edmonds that produce such "weather sealed" leather soles (and wax infused upper leathers as well, see McTavish model, it's also Bally of Switzerland for instance.
    The problem with Allen Edmonds customer support these days seems to be that the people answering questions are now mere "office chair" employees that don't really see much of the manufacturing anymore and thus simply have little clues of what and how - hence you get answers that sound like a politicians explaining his great visions in a million words that mean nothing in the end :)

But fact is (since i have several of AE's made with their "Butyl leather sole and waxed upper leathers" that this is a process of literally cooking some oily mix into the leathers for the soles so they become a bit a mix between normal leather and real rubber soles.

The AE's (they had a collection called "Rough" a while ago) that are fitted with this sole (plus waxed upper leathers) can be worn during normal rainy days without any of the inside getting wet, no problem, but if there's some serious down pour and you'd have to walk quite a distance i would still recommend the plastic overshoe (that you have to have with you unfortunately) or some real all-weather shoes in the first place...

3. canadian13

canadian13 Member

I have a pair of AE boots w/ leather soles which I am considering getting re-crafted w/ Danite rubber soles because I live in a wet climate (Pacific North West).
    Can anyone tell me if the rubber soles will be heavier or lighter than the leather soles?
    And do rubber soles generally last longer than leather soles?
    Thx!

4. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Well it depends on whether you are replacing a single versus double leather sole but really in neither case will you notice a dramatic difference in weight.

Dainite (as distinct from generic rubber) will last many times longer than leather. Like, it's not even close.

1 person likes this.