• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Soles on nice shoes: to protect or not to protect?

pred02

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of discussion whether it's worth putting some sort of rubber protection on new leather shoes to protect the soles from wear and leather and increase the lifespan of the shoe, or just leaving the leather as-is. I have a couple of pair of new nice Brunos and Ferragamo Tramezzas, all with leather soles which I would like to start wearing, so was just wondering what peoples opinion on this subject is.

Thanks!

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for me, i don't really care, apparel is meant to be used and abused

Salsalocust

Reaction score
Leave well alone!!

If you want rubber soled..... buy rubber soled
teacha.gif

Regards,

Graham

IMG_1696.jpg
[/IMG]

Tricker's "Bourton"....

IMG_0232.jpg
[/IMG]

Crockett & Jones "Hallam".... usually leather soled, of course!

Regards,

Graham

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far I've restricted my purchases to Dainite soled shoes/boots but the choice is relatively restricted. I walk to work in all weathers and have to contend with a polished tile floor at work so I suspect for me I will have to go for adding rubber soles even if it offends the purists.

2Scoops

Reaction score
leave it alone. when it wears down enough, just get it re-soled.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't mind topys. I generally get them on my boots, especially ones that will see a lot of wear/bad weather. For dressier shoes, I leave well enough alone, but if I had a small rotation, I might consider topying those too.

My topyed boots, incidentally, fare much better in rain/slippery conditions than do my Dainite soles, at least for street wear. Dainite's fine for muck and mud but not so much for concrete.

Roetzel's book includes a picture of a beautifully patinated pair of brown bals that I assume got that way partly by virtue of their topys.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Putting on topys is kind of pointless imho. After all the shoes are resoleable. I have a couple of pairs that are pushing 17 years and the welt is fine after several resoleings. The uppers are finally starting to go- and topys won't help that.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We've had this discussion many times before, and as always I cast one of the few votes for topy's. They are all benefit /no downside to me. All my leather soles shoes have them installed, except for my suede pairs which never go out in foul weather.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Putting on topys is kind of pointless imho. After all the shoes are resoleable. I have a couple of pairs that are pushing 17 years and the welt is fine after several resoleings. The uppers are finally starting to go- and topys won't help that.

I have to disagree with this, because a topy costs $25 and I've had them last as long as 7 years. Resoling is far more expensive and unless you have them done by the original maker (expensive) they generally don't look right. The welt looks pretty rough after it has been sewn over for the second time.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
I have to disagree with this, because a topy costs $25 and I've had them last as long as 7 years. Resoling is far more expensive and unless you have them done by the original maker (expensive) they generally don't look right. The welt looks pretty rough after it has been sewn over for the second time.

Not my experience but YMMV. But i do only get 2 years out of heels so there may be a gait issue involved here. I've had recraftings done by the maker and had resolings done locally and they're both pretty similar ( but i do have a good local cobbler) There's no way I'd get as much mileage out of a topy as you say.

pred02

Reaction score
I think I will leave them alone, I got a good deal on these shoes so it's not like I spent a fortune. I will not wear them everyday for work, and even when they wear out, well, if I like them I will resole them, if not just will buy the new shoes anyhow -
smile.gif

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How bout some taps.
Advantages: you can join any spontaneous river dance that may happen in your neck of the woods.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads