• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather soles and rain

Fanthom

Reaction score
Hi.

Do you wear shoes with leather soles outside when it is raining and/or wet on the ground? Apart from getting your feet wet, will this damage the soles/shoes?

Marcus

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One more tip: lay the shoes on their sides for drying out, that the air can circulate freely.

The one killer for leather soles is snow, not the snow as such, but the salts used for gritting. It soaks the natural oils right out of the leather. In this case give the soles while they are still wet a good coating with colorless shoe creme (the stuff that comes in little glass containers). Alternativly you can always opt for old fashioned rubber galoshes.

Fanthom

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I understand that getting the soles wet are not a problem as such (if they are allowed to dry properly). But I have heard that wet leather soles wear down more easily, i.e. that wet soles will take more damage from walking on concrete/asphalt/etc. compared to dry soles. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Marcus

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Wet leather is definitely more susceptible to damage. It is much easier to take a chunk out of your sole when it is soaked than when dry. You could get rubber halfsoles put on for a small price which would help this. They also make the shoes less slippery when dry.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wearing my AE Leeds Shells today.
Saw it was raining, and I am sick and tired of walking in the rain on my nice leather soles, and seeing them get destroyed.
So I took off my shoes, put them in my briefcase, and left work in my socks..

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You know, I have considered doing this many times, becauase I hate my Paul Smith beaters that I wear in the rain. I actually think barefoot is much more stylish...

untitled-10.jpg

Jiff65

Reaction score
I always have thin rubber half-soles put on my nice shoes - specifically to avoid water damage. Doing so will make your shoes last forever.

emc894

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
You know, I have considered doing this many times, becauase I hate my Paul Smith beaters that I wear in the rain. I actually think barefoot is much more stylish...

untitled-10.jpg

Enjoy cutting the hell out of your feet.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH

untitled-10.jpg

Ah Yes, The Angel, The Priest, The Corpse, and the Gravedigger.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcus
Hi.

Do you wear shoes with leather soles outside when it is raining and/or wet on the ground? Apart from getting your feet wet, will this damage the soles/shoes?

Marcus

Yes, I do, but I let them dry out before I wear them again.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Topied shoes make that a moot point.

Jay687

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing...

I wanted to just wear some crappier rubber soled shoes when snowy/rainy. How many of you do that? And I say "crappier" but considering I personally will be working/wearing them in NYC, where it can be quite wet at times... I don't want to always be wearing "crappy" shoes. So, does anyone have suggestions for nice rubber soled shoes for that situation?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads