1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather soles and rain

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fanthom, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Fanthom

Fanthom Well-Known Member

Hi.

Do you wear shoes with leather soles outside when it is raining and/or wet on the ground? Apart from getting your feet wet, will this damage the soles/shoes?

Marcus

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

One more tip: lay the shoes on their sides for drying out, that the air can circulate freely.

The one killer for leather soles is snow, not the snow as such, but the salts used for gritting. It soaks the natural oils right out of the leather. In this case give the soles while they are still wet a good coating with colorless shoe creme (the stuff that comes in little glass containers). Alternativly you can always opt for old fashioned rubber galoshes.

4. Fanthom

Fanthom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice.

I understand that getting the soles wet are not a problem as such (if they are allowed to dry properly). But I have heard that wet leather soles wear down more easily, i.e. that wet soles will take more damage from walking on concrete/asphalt/etc. compared to dry soles. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Marcus

5. j

j Senior member Admin

Wet leather is definitely more susceptible to damage. It is much easier to take a chunk out of your sole when it is soaked than when dry. You could get rubber halfsoles put on for a small price which would help this. They also make the shoes less slippery when dry.

6. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I was wearing my AE Leeds Shells today.
    Saw it was raining, and I am sick and tired of walking in the rain on my nice leather soles, and seeing them get destroyed.
    So I took off my shoes, put them in my briefcase, and left work in my socks..

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

You know, I have considered doing this many times, becauase I hate my Paul Smith beaters that I wear in the rain. I actually think barefoot is much more stylish...

[​IMG]

8. Jiff65

Jiff65 Member

I always have thin rubber half-soles put on my nice shoes - specifically to avoid water damage. Doing so will make your shoes last forever.

9. emc894

emc894 Senior member

You know, I have considered doing this many times, becauase I hate my Paul Smith beaters that I wear in the rain. I actually think barefoot is much more stylish...

[​IMG]

Enjoy cutting the hell out of your feet.

10. entrero

entrero Senior member

Sometimes we forget what shoes are made for..

1 person likes this.
  11. Professor Chaos

Professor Chaos Senior member

walking barefoot = parasites [​IMG]

12. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

[​IMG]

Ah Yes, The Angel, The Priest, The Corpse, and the Gravedigger.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Hi.

Do you wear shoes with leather soles outside when it is raining and/or wet on the ground? Apart from getting your feet wet, will this damage the soles/shoes?

Marcus

Yes, I do, but I let them dry out before I wear them again.

14. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

My Topied shoes make that a moot point.

15. Jay687

Jay687 Senior member

I was wondering the same thing...

I wanted to just wear some crappier rubber soled shoes when snowy/rainy. How many of you do that? And I say "crappier" but considering I personally will be working/wearing them in NYC, where it can be quite wet at times... I don't want to always be wearing "crappy" shoes. So, does anyone have suggestions for nice rubber soled shoes for that situation?

16. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I hate the rain when it comes to shoes. My beaters are terrible and I don't want to wear nice shoes in the rain, even if they have combination soles.

BTW, nice job bumping an 8 year old thread.

17. Salad

Salad Senior member

My Topied shoes make that a moot point.

+1 Topied soles when it's wet...or not. I also have a bright yellow pair of Swims but I feel like they get a lot of attention that sometimes I don't care for. I wanted brown but they didn't have my size in brown so the SA talked me into yellow as it's a "classic" raingear color. Do I need to mention that she was a beautiful and leggy asian woman with a pixie haircut wearing a short skirt?

18. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

For the love of God--they're shoes...get over it!

19. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

I wanted to just wear some crappier rubber soled shoes when snowy/rainy. How many of you do that? And I say "crappier" but considering I personally will be working/wearing them in NYC, where it can be quite wet at times... I don't want to always be wearing "crappy" shoes. So, does anyone have suggestions for nice rubber soled shoes for that situation?

Funny thing is, I do the same thing. [​IMG]

In years past, I wore rubber overshoes (black ones) on rainy days and in the winter. But, since a lot of my shoes were brown, the black rubber discoloured the brown leather of my shoes over time. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nowadays, I just wear a cheaper pair of rubber soled shoes on rainy days and in the winter, I wear rubber soled suede shoes. And sometimes I'll wear the black rubber overshoes--but that's becoming more and more infrequent.

Of course, I can always put on a pair of very casual, thick rubber soled shoes to wear on the commute to work and carry my good leather soled shoes in my bag (a shoulder messenger bag)and then change into those at work.

20. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

It's wet so often over here I couldn't cope without dainite soled shoes. leather soles are okay for damp/showery weather, but dainite is perfect for the British winter.