• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Soled Shoes and Rain

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before coming to this forum I wouldn't have known to watch out for leather soled shoes in wet weather, however, I just got a new pair of shoes that are leather soled (as most mine are) and I'm scared to wear them now. Is it okay to wear them when the ground is still damp outside even? In Northern California it doesn't rain a lot in comparison to many places but I don't want to have to wait for the ground to dry the day after a rain.

Was thinking about a pair like this to wear during the winter:
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/19753176/c/3476.html
I like the style even though Stacy Adams seems to be not the most favorite brand around these parts.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pointy...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I saw those shoes once hanging down from the roof of a bus depot. They were moving, so it was hard to get a really good look at them.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is ok to wear leather-soled shoes in rain. Just be very careful about letting them dry properly and wicking all the wet out. The only problem you way experience is that the soles can become very slippery in the wet. For this reason, i like to wear rubber soles in the rain. In the damp, though, leather soles are no problem at all.

Please don't buy those Stacy Adams.

horton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I saw those shoes once hanging down from the roof of a bus depot. They were moving, so it was hard to get a really good look at them.

were anyone's feet still in them?
laugh.gif

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think those shoes are over-priced by $72.00.

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
I think those shoes are over-priced by $72.00.
I beg to differ. Those shoes are over-priced by a couple hundred bucks, if you ask me. That's the price one would have to pay to have me sport them one single day at the office.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
I beg to differ. Those shoes are over-priced by a couple hundred bucks, if you ask me. That's the price one would have to pay to have me sport them one single day at the office.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

The shoes sing to me though.
inlove.gif
tounge.gif

*from the lustful tops of bus terminals even*

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tastes are individual. And if you love them, nobody here can stop you from buying them and wearing them.

That said...

The extended toe, the square shape - they are comical. Certainly, these are not classic shoes. But in their modernity, they are not elegant shoes either. Their shape is, frankly, overdone and laughable. They take popular modern elements of the re-envisioned classic shoe - an extended last and a squared toe shape - and take them to exaggerated extremes. Beyond the fact that they offer appalling construction quality, their design is horrible. There is a line between being snazzy and being a caricature. These shoes cross that line. By a lot.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tibo
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Okay, would you wear them on a day when you had an important meeting AND to dinner with friends for $500 (and you can't tell anybody that you're wearing them for a bet)?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Tastes are individual. And if you love them, nobody here can stop you from buying them and wearing them.

That said...

The extended toe, the square shape - they are comical. Certainly, these are not classic shoes. But in their modernity, they are not elegant shoes either. Their shape is, frankly, overdone and laughable. They take popular modern elements of the re-envisioned classic shoe - an extended last and a squared toe shape - and take them to exaggerated extremes. Beyond the fact that they offer appalling construction quality, their design is horrible. There is a line between being snazzy and being a caricature. These shoes cross that line. By a lot.

But, they also come in such an unattractive leather.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83

That said...

I wasn't really serious about the shoes. They are way more than I'd be willing to pay for them if anything. However, I can wear anything and make it look like a million bucks.
rimshot.gif

Joking aside, my original question was only addressed in one post.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Before coming to this forum I wouldn't have known to watch out for leather soled shoes in wet weather, however, I just got a new pair of shoes that are leather soled (as most mine are) and I'm scared to wear them now. Is it okay to wear them when the ground is still damp outside even? In Northern California it doesn't rain a lot in comparison to many places but I don't want to have to wait for the ground to dry the day after a rain.

Was thinking about a pair like this to wear during the winter:
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/19753176/c/3476.html
I like the style even though Stacy Adams seems to be not the most favorite brand around these parts.

Have you tried Stacy Adams Bespoke? It's little known, highly exclusive, and run by Olga Berluti.

Rumor has it that aportnoy has the largest collection of Stacy Adam's Bespokes in the world and that all the EG's and JL's are just a cover!

Well, getting serious again. tiecollector, you really know how to get a thread going. I'd wager that you wouldn't wear those Stacy Adams in a flood, let alone damp weather. I sure would like to see you buy them and post a picture though
devil.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
make sure the floodwater is murky enough before you wear them out.
smile.gif

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just do as I do, put rubber protectors ("topys" I think they are called sometimes in this forum) on all your leather sole shoes the first thing you do, and then you do not have to worry about the weather again. All my shoes, except my sneakers, are leather soled, and I have had rubber or plastic protectors put on all of them. These protectors are discussed in some other threads on this forum, and not everybody likes them. I think that they are practical, they make your shoes last longer and you do not have to bother about the leather soles being "slippery" when it is raining. So when it rains, I only bother about not using my nicer brown shoes; black shoes appear to be more resistent, at least I feel that they require less "post-rain" treatment to recover their original shine and colour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads