• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Sole Care Tips?

NotThorns

Reaction score
I just purchased my first pair of (what I would consider) quality leather soled shoes, but I'm a little nervous about the soles. Any tips for proper care from the veterans here?

For reference they're Magnanni calfskin/deerskin captoes.

P.S. I'm annoyed I can't edit the title. Obviously supposed to be "care tips" not car tips.
p.p.s. thanks fixed!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can. Edit the post. Go to advanced mode and edit the subject line. wa-la.

Don't worry about sole-care.

NotThorns

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Don't worry about sole-care.

Seriously? I do a lot of walking and I feel like I'm gonna dig into 'em.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NotThorns
Seriously? I do a lot of walking and I feel like I'm gonna dig into 'em.

That's what they're there for. But if you're really worried, do a search for Topy and read up.

Azure

Reaction score
Well I got several. The bad thing is using them with rain, or go into a disco wc with some piss on the ground...not joking. It wets your socks and your feets!
frown.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There really isnt much to sole care. You can either cover them up (topy), or let them wear down. I choose the latter. I do avoid rain and piss-clubs but neither will ruin your shoes.

I don't know of any widely used product which either toughens the sole or moisturizes the sole. Everyone I know just lets them wear. You can do cosmetic things as they age, for example edge dressing. But his is basically nail-polish for your shoes.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moral of the story: If you frequent pissy clubs, Topy your shoes. If not, don't worry about it.

spence

Reaction score
From what I've heard it may be good to wear them a few times when it's dry, rather than initiate them in the wet.

-spence

goodlife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I do avoid rain and piss-clubs but neither will ruin your shoes.

crackup[1].gif

This might be the best line of the day, someone could use that as a signature.

indy116

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spence
From what I've heard it may be good to wear them a few times when it's dry, rather than initiate them in the wet.

-spence

Yea, it'd be like ice skating if you were wearing new leather soles in the rain.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indy116
Yea, it'd be like ice skating if you were wearing new leather soles in the rain.

+1. Think this has more to do with safety than sole longevity.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Japanese do have something for the sole:

image3.jpg

koolhistorian

Reaction score
From time to time, take a straw brush (with pretty much stiff bristles) and take off the dirt and small pebbles that go into your sole and heels, and wash the sole with some saddle soap, or just plain water (not too much). If you are not wearing them for a period, you can twice a year to put some neutral cream on the sole, just to keep it more flexible (do not wear for at least 2 days or more). If you are spiffy - wax the part of the sole that is not touching the ground and even buff it.

aldica

Reaction score
Sole dressing would be a good investment, and a toothbrush to apply it. Cedar shoe trees are a must.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plan on getting some of my older shoe soles covered with a Topy or Vibram. This will help to avoid wet socks in inclement weather and piss from the clubs. And if the uppers do get wet or pissy, then I won't worry too much as they are my older beater shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads