• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Sofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any comments (good or bad) on leather sofas? I am moving to a new place soon and need to buy new furniture. We are considering a leather sofa but have some concerns. I assume that there is a wide variety of quality levels and would be willing to go on the higher end of price if it is worth it for the quality. Please also note that we have a 4-year-old child.

Advice appreciated.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested as well. I have a 5 months old child
wink.gif

!luc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
I'm interested as well. I have a 5 months old child
wink.gif

!luc

I wonder if they make drool-proof leather?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Anyone have any comments (good or bad) on leather sofas? I am moving to a new place soon and need to buy new furniture. We are considering a leather sofa but have some concerns. I assume that there is a wide variety of quality levels and would be willing to go on the higher end of price if it is worth it for the quality. Please also note that we have a 4-year-old child.

Advice appreciated.

I LOVE leather sofas and furniture. The one nice thing is that anything spilled on them can be wiped off and they don't attract pet hair and whatnot. They are pretty difficult to punture but not impossible (especially if you have pets) but then again, same with cloth. If temperature is an issue, a covering looks nice and adds to the sofa and the room.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
I wonder if they make drool-proof leather?
leather couches clean up quite easily though. It's not like a pair of shoes!

I'm pondering the two seats LC3.

!luc

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by faust
I wouldn't. One, I think it looks tacky - it's very hard to find a good one. Two, seating on them is terrible - it feels bad on the skin, it gets really hot in the summer, and really cold in the inter.

Ya, maybe the big puffy ones made by Lazy Boy, but some of the bastians of 20th century design have used leather, not to mention the older, beautiful club sofas.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just make sure you buy quality and I think you should be ok (I wouldn't spend less than 2k personally). I shopped around at different price points but went with the more expensive stuff under the assumption that it would last longer (plus it just looked better). The saleswoman went in to all the details of the construction but I honestly can't remember much of what she said. The one thing I remember about the construction of what I bought is that instead of using springs they use webbing so that your favorite seating position doesn't sag over time. 2 years and a lot of couch potato time later they still look and feel brand new.

I know people that have bought cheap leather sofas and after a couple of years the leather has creased in a very displeasing way whereas mine still look brand new. I believe this is partly a function of how firm your couch is and whether your seating position eventually gives way.

Another point to consider is that those big leather monstrosities that are popular in americans' basements are comfortable when you buy them, but often get lumpy pretty fast. My dad has a set (one 3 seat couch and two single seats) that he paid about 5.5k for and his furniture is experiencing the exact problems I just described.

As for durability, i have only good things to say. I spilled a chocolate protein shake on it the other day and i just grabbed a wet rag and wiped it off. Another time I threw my legs up on it while i was wearing track pants and the zipper at the bottom made a good sized scratch that pissed me off at the time but is now barely visible.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by faust
I wouldn't. One, I think it looks tacky - it's very hard to find a good one. Two, seating on them is terrible - it feels bad on the skin, it gets really hot in the summer, and really cold in the inter.

Good leather isn't like this so much, it breathes. The best leathers never feel sweaty, clammy, or cold. The problem is that high-quality analine leathers are really expensive ($10k for a sofa and more) and are prone to staining. We have a sofa in Spinneybeck Sabrina, which is a semi-analine with a protective coating. It seems to be a good compromise.

Originally Posted by Tck13
I LOVE leather sofas and furniture. The one nice thing is that anything spilled on them can be wiped off and they don't attract pet hair and whatnot. They are pretty difficult to punture but not impossible (especially if you have pets) but then again, same with cloth. If temperature is an issue, a covering looks nice and adds to the sofa and the room.

In this respect leather is more durable in that it won't stain or wear out like fabric. It can be punctured by pets, but only with effort. We let our dog on the cheap leather sofa in the den but not on the one covered in spinneybeck.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, aniline is gorgeous but is also a lot more fragile.

!luc

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two leather chairs by Mitchell Gold. They are my favorites. They also supply Restortion Hardware which is where I obtained mine. They make a great product in my opinion.

As far as child -proof...
tell me what one thing that couldn't be destroyed by a four year old
laugh.gif

horton

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more that leather is an excellent choice if chosen wisely.

Quality and construction will vary both on the leather and the underlying furniture.

Some pieces are built to essentially be disposed of once the leather wears out (i.e., not really intended to be re-upholstered); others are built to last a lifetime. Unlike fabric, leather looks and feels better with age.

For a more traditional look (but not completely, e.g., includes transitional pieces) check out Hancock and Moore (sp?). Akin to Baker -- but leather.

Also, especially for the higher end stuff, you can get great deals, if willing, by contacting decent consignment shops.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 4 kids.

Our leather furniture has held up very very well.
Get a dark color, as it hides stains and such much better than light leather. Get a smooth finish, not a suede finish.

Contrary to what you think, leather is one of the best choices for child-resistant furniture. Our leather sofa and chair are in the high-traffic part of our home and still look great after 6 years of use and abuse by my kids.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at Restoration Hardware. Restoration Hardware sofas used to be made by Mitchell Gold and before that Ritcher, but they moved production overseas. Prices dropped from about $4500 to $3200-$3500 while quality improved or at least stayed the same. Win some, lose some. Cascobayfurniture.com (which appears to be two guys: one with a merchant account and one that wants to practice his web design skills) sells the Restoration Hardware Maxwell made by Ritcher in LA for $2400 free shipping last time I checked. Good deal... Mine:
sofa.jpg

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
She doesn't care whether or not he's an island.
She doesn't care just as long as his ship's coming in.
She doesn't care whether or not he's an island.
They laugh, they make money.
He's got a gold watch, she's got a silk dress
And healthy breasts that bounce on his Italian leather sofa.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads