Leather Shoes and Blue Scuff

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lafont, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Lafont

Lafont Senior member

After the usual search, ended up purchasing black Ecco oxfords similar to my last dress pair except this time with cap toe. I know they are not of the "higest ranking" for some of the individuals who are active on this site, but I was fairly happy with my last dress pair of Eccos. What I'm writing about is that "out of the blue," as the expression goes, I looked down at one of the shoes yesterday to find a long bluish streek in the cap area. I tripped on a pavement the evening before so perhaps somehow scuffed the shoe at that time - can't say for sure - but it's disappointing to find that if the leather of such a shoe gets a deeper scratch it's a definite blue underneath. Is that typical of many brands of shoes?

I don't particularly recall this type of scuff being so noticably blue on a leather shoe. And these are hardly the cheapest type of dress shoe, either. So I can try to keeping polishing over the scuff but it will always be a flaw and something to keep in mind if I want the dress shoes to look as perfect as possible. Actually, I don't see why the polish would keep diminishing in that particular location so maybe I won't have to worry much about covering it.
    :uhoh:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

2. NORE

NORE Senior member

Looks like you scratched it to the "blue meat". Inferior leathers are blue in the middle and if you were able to get to the blue with just a scratch then the leather must have been shaved really thin.

[​IMG]

I forget the technical term for this but I found out when I was sourcing hides to make bags. Some good reading: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Leather-101

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012