• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Satchel / Briefcase

SidewinderX

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the market for an affordable leather satchel or briefcase -- finally time to kick my beloved 2008 ACC Tournament laptop bag to corner and get something a little nicer.

The most common load for the bag will be a laptop, charger, notebook or two, pens and other misc. items. However, my "pinch point" for the bag will be my travel loadout, which means it'll have to hold two laptops (15" size), notebook, kindle, and pens. I won't spend a lot of time in this config, so it doesn't have to comfortably fit all that, but I do have to get through an airport with that loadout.

The bag that's got me most interested right now is the Maxwell Scott Jeselo3 (http://www.maxwellscottbags.com/business/leather-briefcases/gents-leather-satchel.html), which comes in at $340 for those of us here in the US.

So two questions -- Any opinions on this bag / brand? And does anyone have a reccomendation for a bag at a similar price point that meets my requirements?

Thanks!

SidewinderX

Reaction score
Another shot at getting some opinions... no advice anyone?

SidewinderX

Reaction score
That's a nice looking bag -- I don't think it quite fits my needs (probably looking at a 3 gusset bag to accomodate 2 laptops + papers when needed), and it's a $200 over what I was looking at, but definitely a nice bag.

Thanks!

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a nice looking bag -- I don't think it quite fits my needs (probably looking at a 3 gusset bag to accomodate 2 laptops + papers when needed), and it's a $200 over what I was looking at, but definitely a nice bag.

Thanks!

Not a fan of the bag you posted. Have you checked out Saddleback? $70-$80 over your budget but after looking around I think it's a competitive price. Also, you never know what duties you will get hit with ordering overseas.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Briefcase-Thin?sc=8&category=83

Last edited:

SidewinderX

Reaction score
Not a fan of the bag you posted. Have you checked out Saddleback? $70-$80 over your budget but after looking around I think it's a competitive price. Also, you never know what duties you will get hit with ordering overseas.
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Briefcase-Thin?sc=8&category=83

Is saddleback pretty well respected? I've been a bit cautious about them because a) they advertise all over the place and b) they seem to promote thier "American-iss" despite the fact the bags are made in Mexico. Neither of which make me think they're bad per sea, just a bit cautious.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is saddleback pretty well respected? I've been a bit cautious about them because a) they advertise all over the place and b) they seem to promote thier "American-iss" despite the fact the bags are made in Mexico. Neither of which make me think they're bad per sea, just a bit cautious.
They have a good reputation here anyway. They use thick, full-grain leather and are built well. The only issue I could see someone having with them is that they are a bit on the rustic side. Depending on how "refined" your bag needs to look, it may or may not work for you.

Last edited:

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is saddleback pretty well respected? I've been a bit cautious about them because a) they advertise all over the place and b) they seem to promote thier "American-iss" despite the fact the bags are made in Mexico. Neither of which make me think they're bad per sea, just a bit cautious.

How many bags offer 100 yr warranty? I would at least add them to your list and see what else is out there. I have seen other bags I like but they are all at least $200 more. Anyway, like you I am still deciding as well. PM me if you find anything else interesting.

Curated

Reaction score
I'd take a look at the Henry Tompkins "Full Monty". It's right in the same price tier as the Saddleback.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For $340 you can get one custom made to match your needs.

Not to knock saddleback bags, but their 100 year warranty is not because they're exceptionally made bags, it's because of redundancy , double stitching, rivets at all stress points.

SidewinderX

Reaction score
For $340 you can get one custom made to match your needs.
Not to knock saddleback bags, but their 100 year warranty is not because they're exceptionally made bags, it's because of redundancy , double stitching, rivets at all stress points.

Custom made from where? Any particular suggestions?

Rooster: Yeah, I'm not counting that saddleback out. It's a nice looking bag... I think the Maxwell Scott one is a little "dressier" -- but I'm not sure if that's completely what I want.

Curated: That HT bag looks really nice, and seems to line up with my needs pretty well... I know these sorts of briefcases are pretty stiff when you first get them, but will the bag "compress" down pretty easily when partially empty? Having a 7" deep bag (2+3+2) would be pretty unwieldy in an airport. Even at its worst my current laptop bag never really gets more than 5" deep.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a few leather artisans on SF, you can do a search for those. And, though I don't typically solicit people, I make hand stitched leather bags - if interested you can pm me.

scypticalchymist

Reaction score
I recently received a satchel/briefcase from Tanner's Alley (USA made in your price range). They have some fairly large large bags including a triple gusset. I'm quite happy with the quality of the leather (English bridle) and overall quality.

http://tannersalleyleather.com/

MakingChanges

Reaction score

I recently received a satchel/briefcase from Tanner's Alley (USA made in your price range). They have some fairly large large bags including a triple gusset. I'm quite happy with the quality of the leather (English bridle) and overall quality.
http://tannersalleyleather.com/

Did you purchase the Satchel bag? If so, which color did you purchase? Do you find there to be enough small pockets for storage?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

joebox

Reaction score

Hi all,

I'm in the market for an affordable leather satchel or briefcase -- finally time to kick my beloved 2008 ACC Tournament laptop bag to corner and get something a little nicer.

The most common load for the bag will be a laptop, charger, notebook or two,  pens and other misc. items. However, my "pinch point" for the bag will be my travel loadout, which means it'll have to hold two laptops (15" size), notebook, kindle, and pens. I won't spend a lot of time in this config, so it doesn't have to comfortably fit all that, but I do have to get through an airport with that loadout.

The bag that's got me most interested right now is the Maxwell Scott Jeselo3 (http://www.maxwellscottbags.com/business/leather-briefcases/gents-leather-satchel.html), which comes in at $340 for those of us here in the US.

So two questions -- Any opinions on this bag / brand? And does anyone have a reccomendation for a bag at a similar price point that meets my requirements?

Thanks!

Where can you find this bag for $340? On the website is nearly a $100 more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics