Leather sandals

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kabert, May 16, 2005.

1. kabert

kabert Senior member

These nearly always look rather clunky and somewhat geeky. Over the weekend, I spied a pair that I'd actually wear -- very rakish and quite dressy; cut close to the foot (not one of those big, wide oval soles), with a fairly closed-in pointy toe (woven leather perhaps; no toes visible that I could see) and leather strips coming back from where the end of the toe cap was in a long, narrow "X" pattern. There also must have been a buckle somewhere, but in the brief glimpse I saw, I didn't see one. Does anyone know who makes good, stylish ones? (I think I recall that Lattanzi does, but they're about a $1000 -- I'm not in that market.)

2. weeks

weeks Senior member

3. weeks

weeks Senior member

I forgot to mention that the single arch look much better to me than does the double arch. I tried on a pair of double arch one time and felt like i was walking on stilts. Needless to say, I didnt get that pair.

4. kabert

kabert Senior member

Never heard of them, but thanks for the link. I like the novel idea of having arch supports in "simple" sandals.

5. Fritz

Fritz Senior member

Believe it or not, a couple of years ago I saw tan John Lobb Paris sandals. Basically they looked like elegant welted shoes with parts missing. A year or so later I could have gotten them on sale, at less than half price, 399 Deutsche Mark (200 Euros in todays money). For a nanosecond I was tempted, if only to get John Lobb's at such a cheap price. But as a matter of fact I would never ever have worn them, and to me they were more a curiosity than a beautiful shoe. Much like the Rolls-Royce modified to a pick-up truck that used to be driving around in Düsseldorf in the early 90's.

Welted leather sandals, wasn't the shooman looking for something like that?