• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can someone explain how white leather is obtained?

Tanned and undyed leather should be a pale blue or tan

But a dye must be translucent so can only make that leather darker (not white)

So how do we get white leather ?

Instead of being dyed, is it instead paint ? Bleach ?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
White leather is generally a mineral tan such as alum tannage or chrome tannage (more common). Such leathers tend to be white-ish or grey/bluish grey after tanning rather than the tan colour associated with vegetable tanning..

White leathers are (or used to be) impregnated with further minerals in lieu of an alcohol based dye, to create a pure white base. The grain surface is then 'painted' with a white surface dye / top coat--often acrylic.

Technology may have developed new processes in the last 50+ years that I am not aware of, but I've not seen any examples.

Last edited:

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a blood stain on my leather shoes is there a way to make it disappear? I tried vingar/water with no success.

DapperAndy

Reaction score

Kochegar

Reaction score
Excuse me if it is the wrong thread for that but...
Need some advice.
Is it okay for first quality shoes to have this?

Looks like a vein and not a crease. Does it affect durability/ could eventually crack?
Thank you!

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a crease.

Lumaca

Reaction score
A question that crossed my mind when doing maintenance: What happens when you use Renovateur on suede?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well initially it will darken it and matt down the fibers. But you ever get reno on the thread of the lid on the jar? It gunks up and gets sticky.

The only "conditioner" specifically for suede that I have seen is Leather Doctor's Fat Liquor, but it is part of a multi step process that is cumbersome and probably not worth your time or money.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excuse me if it is the wrong thread for that but...
Need some advice.
Is it okay for first quality shoes to have this?

View attachment 1227929

Looks like a vein and not a crease. Does it affect durability/ could eventually crack?
Thank you!

It's a crease.

If only those animals would take a skin care regimen seriously, it would go a long way to keeping our shoes looking their best.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If only those animals would take a skin care regimen seriously, it would go a long way to keeping our shoes looking their best.

Actually the only thing that will prevent creasing is holding your foot completely rigid and immobile...forever.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goodness! This is where everyone has decanted to! Great to see some famous and favourite names again.

I have recently bought some Kudu leather shoes and now I am having some ethical doubts...after the event. There are different accounts of whether or not Kudu are hunted for their leather or that their hides are part of the 'food chain', as it were. The leather is certainly interesting. It is soft but - apparently - very hard wearing. It needs little care and I am hoping it will develop a natural patina, over time. With all good wishes, Munky

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any difference in quality of modern Haas vs Freudenberg leathers?

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any difference in quality of modern Haas vs Freudenberg leathers?

Do you mean Haas today vs old German Freudenberg, or Haas today vs today’s Polish Weinheimer/“Freudenberg”? Either way one can say that Haas has loads of different leathers, so would need to be more specific.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Which leathers from Haas are you talking about? I'm very familiar with Novonappa (aka "Barenia" but I think that label is proprietary to Hermes) if that's what you're talking about…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads