• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gertoshav

Reaction score
Well, C Loy's Leather has some decent kangaroo that is glazed and relatively firm--you might tell him what you are going to use it for. 'Roo is .the strongest leather, in terms of tensile strength, known to man.

With regards to glazing leather and shell, I've read that it gives a shiny appearance to the material, but aside from aesthetic is there any other reason why leather is glazed?

tallyho

Reaction score
Well, C Loy's Leather has some decent kangaroo that is glazed and relatively firm--you might tell him what you are going to use it for. 'Roo is .the strongest leather, in terms of tensile strength, known to man.
Thanks again, @DFWII. By the way, do you know any good source of roo leather in Australia? My brother is living there and will back here next month. He said that RM William bought all top quality roo leather in Australia, I though I have always been doubt about it.

tallyho

Reaction score
Use a different leather for the interior if you’re hell bent on a cordovan wallet, goatskin is commonly used
You right, and that can save me quite a bit of money.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A bit off topic, but it always surprises me how difficult it is to find decent bags made from kangaroo given how often I've heard this about its strength. It seems like a no-brainer. I know you're mostly shoemakers in here, but does anyone know why there don't seem to be many rugged bags (not purses, thinking more duffels weekenders etc.) made from kangaroo? Is there some other property of it that makes it a losing proposition? Or does anyone know of a bag-maker that uses kangaroo regularly?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Roo is thin--the leather linked to above is probably less than 1mm thick.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With regards to glazing leather and shell, I've read that it gives a shiny appearance to the material, but aside from aesthetic is there any other reason why leather is glazed?
Not really and I probably have misspoken about C Loy's leather--it might just be aniline with a good acrylic finish.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks again, @DFWII. By the way, do you know any good source of roo leather in Australia? My brother is living there and will back here next month. He said that RM William bought all top quality roo leather in Australia, I though I have always been doubt about it.
Well, it all comes from Australia but I don't order it from there so I cana't really help you.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit off topic, but it always surprises me how difficult it is to find decent bags made from kangaroo given how often I've heard this about its strength. It seems like a no-brainer. I know you're mostly shoemakers in here, but does anyone know why there don't seem to be many rugged bags (not purses, thinking more duffels weekenders etc.) made from kangaroo? Is there some other property of it that makes it a losing proposition? Or does anyone know of a bag-maker that uses kangaroo regularly?
My friend Theo Hassett in Melbourne makes wallets out of Kangaroo, also makes bags out of cow. He might have an answer if you get in touch

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure this topic has been discussed in great detail here, already, but I can't find the pages.

I recently took delivery of some beautiful MTO desert boots. They are rust and made of "Veg re-tanned leather, made with American hides and finished in England. Dyed-through rich colour with a slight pull-up effect".

It looks and feels slightly like CXL but it isn't It has a fairly mottled rust colour that like CXL changes colour slightly as it warms up. I suspect that it will scratch quite easily but that the scratches will be easy to rub out. It also slightly similar to crazy horse leather but has a more polished surface.

The leather is very thick and also very supple. It tends to roll rather than crease. I am finding it difficult to find very much about veg re-tanned leather and would love to know more about it. Also, I would appreciate any comments on how to care for it. Here is a photo of similar boots, made in the same leather. With thanks and very best wishes, Munky.

Rust shoes.jpg

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Veg retan isn't all that hard to find...maybe esp. on this side of the pond. But it isn't always oil-stuffed, so it can have a dry character or a waxy / greasy character. It is invariably made from older animals and as a result is not as dense as leather from younger animals (ie. calfskin) I suspect that's why it is tanned that way--skins from older animals can be quite 'loose' especially when chrome tanned. The veg tanned aspects firms it up...at least initially. It can be a good choice for shoes and boots esp. casual or work boots.

A lot of Horween leathers are from older animals and retanned.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Veg retan isn't all that hard to find...maybe esp. on this side of the pond. But it isn't always oil-stuffed, so it can have a dry character or a waxy / greasy character. It is invariably made from older animals and as a result is not as dense as leather from younger animals (ie. calfskin) I suspect that's why it is tanned that way--skins from older animals can be quite 'loose' especially when chrome tanned. The veg tanned aspects firms it up...at least initially. It can be a good choice for shoes and boots esp. casual or work boots.

A lot of Horween leathers are from older animals and retanned.
Thank you very much for that, DW, it is very helpful. This leather does appear to be hot stuffed. I haven't seen (in shoes) a leather as thick as this but as supple. I am very happy with it and with the boots. Great to hear from you again and very best wishes, Munky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads