• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ntempleman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just put some polish on now and then and give them a quick brush before you wear them, no need to over complicate it. I’ve got shoes I wear so rarely I need to brush an inch of dust off them each, they’ve never been conditioned once and they’ve lasted just fine. I’ve got leather on the shelf that’s 30 years old, if you think I’m conditioning that before I make your shoes then I got news for you pal

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always say that the only product you actually need is shoe cream, everything else is a bonus, or not necessary, or sometimes even harms more than it gives. Wax is great if you want a shine, and does give some more protection, but not to a huge extent compared to shoe cream. Conditioners are a bit extra nourishing and some really dried out leather do nice of it, but it’s only in rare cases that it’s actually needed and shoe cream isn’t enough.

To give an or example, the firm I work for have sample shoes that have stood on a shelf in sometimes direct sunlight for years and can be so lightened in colour and dried out that when I’ve tried to apply pigmented cream on them it doesn’t even go into the leather, have to condition it with Saphir dubbin graisse first to get it nourished and be able to absorb the cream. But it’s not really standard for people to leave their shoes near a window for years..

Then, there’s lots of shoe care products that can do some parts that cream does even better, easier, more fun etc., but the “everything else is a bonus, or not necessary, or sometimes even harms more than it gives” still applies.

BTW, I like the “a bonus” part a lot, so usually buy all types of shoe care products I can come buy just to test different brands and stuff. This pic was taken a few years ago, maybe 50% more today.

DSC02228.jpg

Last edited:

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to verify on my Amazon purchase list. Same 16oz Bick4 container since 2016 (Sept.), and I have about 1/3 of the bottle left. Talk about spot conditioning ?.

My brushes on the other hand look like Sasquatch brushed his teeth with them from the overuse.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had to verify on my Amazon purchase list. Same 16oz Bick4 container since 2016 (Sept.), and I have about 1/3 of the bottle left. Talk about spot conditioning ?.

My brushes on the other hand look like Sasquatch brushed his teeth with them from the overuse.
I have a leather couch. I've conditioned it many times with Bick 4. It is always more trouble than its worth.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nah, they make a spray version for larger applications. I spray it all over myself and then flip, flop, and squirm all over the couch while watching Netflix. Quite a workout.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I read somewhere that there's an especially designated person who conditions all the leather furniture in the British Royal palace(s) on a infrequent but regular basis. I suspect that there must be something to that lost in the mists of time.

I don't think that pouring a little Lexol in the palm of your hand and rubbing it on your shoes(or yourself) ever now and again is harmful. Despite what the church says.

Consider it a small gesture to propitiate the Gods of Leather and Shoe and make redress for the way in which you daily abuse them.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, they make a spray version for larger applications. I spray it all over myself and then flip, flop, and squirm all over the couch while watching Netflix. Quite a workout.

Ive heard moisturizing is good for the skin, but goodness me this here seems a rather messy undertaking.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Lexol.

I'm not sure about the Lexol. Meaning, my results have been unsatisfactory. Anytime I have used the Lexol there was always a residue on the surface which resulted in a cloudy appearance. Even when I used next to nothing.

I've never had that happen with the Bick. Even my father's preferred Venetian shoe cream yields better results for me. That old man of mines has been using that stuff for what seems like decades on his shoes. Oddly, without shoe cream or wax, and the VSC his shoes still look solid ?. Has me thinking, I overpay for my shoe care products.

In any case, I'd agree with @j ingevaldsson, shoe cream (partial towards Burgols) and minimal spot usage of conditioner seems to produce effective long-term positive results.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Venetian is nothing more than an unpigmented cream. It has a pretty heavy naphtha smell from what I can remember, probably not the best cream.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Lexol. Meaning, my results have been unsatisfactory. Anytime I have used the Lexol there was always a residue on the surface which resulted in a cloudy appearance. Even when I used next to nothing.

I've never had that happen with the Bick. Even my father's preferred Venetian shoe cream yields better results for me. That old man of mines has been using that stuff for what seems like decades on his shoes. Oddly, without shoe cream or wax, and the VSC his shoes still look solid ?. Has me thinking, I overpay for my shoe care products.

In any case, I'd agree with @j ingevaldsson, shoe cream (partial towards Burgols) and minimal spot usage of conditioner seems to produce effective long-term positive results.

I've used Lexol for many years and I have never experienced any residue. The Bick4 does leave a slight wax residue esp. if it is overused. But any neutral shoe cream will do the same. Of all the conditioners out there Bick4 comes the closest to living up to its claims that it will not darken leather...in my experience.

Not to take anything away from VSC but from what I've been told (and from what I recall reading on the label) it has turpentine (?) in it.

My go-to rule of thumb with this kind of thing is that if you wouldn't put it on your own skin, you shouldn't put it on shoes that you care about.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used Lexol for many years and I have never experienced any residue. The Bick4 does leave a slight wax residue esp. if it is overused. But any neutral shoe cream will do the same. Of all the conditioners out there Bick4 comes the closest to living up to its claims that it will not darken leather.

Not to take anything away from VSC but from what I've been told (and from what I recall reading on the label) it has turpentine (?) in it.

My go-to rule of thumb with this kind of thing is that if you wouldn't put it on your own skin, you shouldn't put it on shoes that you care about.

That's why there are options out there with regards to conditioners. Every one has different results. Never had any residue from the Bick, but, as mentioned, did from the Lexol.

I do like the Saphir stuff, yet not sure (other than a pleasant smell) if it is any more effective than the Bick (which is considerably cheaper).

Never used the VSC on a consistent basis, but I do know some swear by it, including my pops.

Ultimately, whatever works on your shoes and for your shoe care regime is what people will be proponents of. As with all things YMMV.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I tend to stay away from conditioners with wax in them. Wax attracts a lot of dust and debris. Sticks right to it. You need something that penetrates and can be wiped clean on the vamp.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads