1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Quality and Properties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VegTan, Jul 8, 2013.

1. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

How the hell do you people always manage to screw up with the bone? I've been using it forever and nothing have ever haopened. If the raw shape bone doesn't work out, get a snake head narrow bone. It's not the romantic orgy bullshit. It's a lot safer to use horn anf bone than an aluminum spoon.

2. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I found the Abbeyhorn bone pretty unusable as delivered. It seemed too long, too rough, and I have no idea what you are supposed to do with the joint end. I hacked off the ends, went through a progression of sandpaper up to a fairly high grit before using it, and it works fine. I can easily see how people are scratching their shoes if they are using it unaltered though.

[​IMG]

3. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

I have the same bone and did nothing to it. I only use the two smooth long sides of it, not the rough middle part of the bone.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

FWIW, bones are good for shining and compressing leather fibers that are unfinished with wax. I have found using a bone over wax just smears it around. My shoehorn was good for just pushing it and popping those water marks.

5. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

I tried rubbing the surface with a touch of water, then add more touches of water on the wax as I burnish the surface with the bone. Gotta admit, on shell cordovan the result is very intriguing, FWIW.

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Who uses an aluminum spoon? :confused:

7. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

What are spoons made out of nowadays? You expect silver spoons lying around much?

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Stainless steel.

1 person likes this.
  9. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

I take most of my words back.

10. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Do you make boots for people that will actually wear them on a ranch/riding, or are they almost exclusively fancy dress boots? If the former, what are the best leathers for a working boot? Is suede in the mix? Is thicker tougher leather from older animals more appropriate? Will calf or buffalo perform acceptably or are they too delicate for riding and work (will the leather rip on a snag, etc)?

11. chogall

chogall Senior member

With silver spoon or aluminum spoon?

12. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

I took my words back because I thought the majority of spoons I see were aluminum.

Other than that, all metal spoons should not hang around veg tanned leathers.

13. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

About welts on cordovan . I mist the area with water and brush it back to a shine . This has never failed to work for me . I always remove the post Horween coatings .I use coconut oil .lightly on occasion I never use wax . I often wear them to do yard work . I belive it literally cannot be harmed by anything short of contact with a corrosive chemical or by mechanical means such as cutting it with a knife or repeatedly kicking a boulder . I will include pics in another post as my freaking I pad is being dysfunctional

14. chogall

chogall Senior member

Why not? Or you prefer using glass hammers to roll and press leathers?

15. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Misting the bumped and spotted shell surface with water is the best way to go. I'd go fancy and do extra work with the burnishing though.

If anything, then a smoothen glass rod, not hammer, mind you, would still be a lot more appropriate than a spoon.

16. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

Great work keeping them on shape.

18. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I make both--for working cowboys and musicians...whoever. "Work, Dress or Show" is one of my mottos.

For work boots, it varies but a 6-8 ounce oil stuffed leather seems to give the best service against barnyard acids and daily dirt. Some like shark as it is very scuff resistant (although a bit stretchy). That said, many customers order boots from leathers that are dressy or semi-dressy and wear them as dress boots until they get unsightly and then wear them as kick- rounds and finally as work boots until they fall off their feet.

Buffalo calf and French calf do well in those situations. You probably wouldn't see much kangaroo as work boots, even in extremis, simply because it is so thin. And exotics such as elephant and ostrich, which can perform well as work boots, are usually too expensive. Although rodeo cowboys like the exotics.

All kinds of choices, all kinds of people.

19. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Here's a glass burnishing rod.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. traverscao

traverscao Senior member

That's for jamming, not slicking/burnishing. Have fun finding a solid ass to jam it into.