• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

It does, though.

It definitely does, I have some cracked Kangaroo Williams boots here. To be fair they are probably 13 or 14 years old though and are still mostly alive..

Charlie

Stirling

Reaction score

It does, though.

It definitely does, I have some cracked Kangaroo Williams boots here. To be fair they are probably 13 or 14 years old though and are still mostly alive..

Charlie

Indeed, it does and I have witnessed it. all skin can and will. I was being faecetious given pb's unfortunate experience of cracking uppers.

Although come to think of it I never saw ostrich crack!

Stirling

Reaction score

Bonaudo is the only Italian tannery where I could find kangaroo. Their "glass flower" 'roo looks like glace kid, but is almost as strong as calf.

What about Mondovi have they stopped?

I was always under the impression that a lot of kangaroo were tanned in Italy, outside Oz of course.

Stirling

Reaction score
Well you did say Bonaudo is the only Italian tannery where you could find kangaroo, it's more likely it's the only one in Rome, not Italy.

leetpuma

Reaction score
That said, all leather fails sometime, in some way. There are suede conditioners, however, specifically designed to prolong the life of the leather. I would not put a conditioner meant for full grain calf on suede. Not even on the grain side.

--

Sorry for digging this post up from the past.

I have been looking to see if there are actually ways to condition suede. And have had very little luck. (All products seem to be either recoloring or water proofing. Only one talks about conditioning: http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-suede-spray.html and even then its not really its core purpose)

When you said:
For suede I use conditioning shampoo that uses coconut oil for the conditioner.

Could you point me to this conditioner for suede. I have been searching for one. But have only found the saphir one. (Also feel free to answer the above suede questions if you know the answers.)
http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-suede-spray.html

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested in the same as well! I tried to put some lexol conditioner on a pair of suede boat shoes, just to test; they are noticeably softer, but got some whitish residue on them - I would not recommend on doing it on regular suede. I think Glenjay is talking about regular shampoo with coconut oil in it, like this.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have been looking to see if there are actually ways to condition suede. And have had very little luck. (All products seem to be either recoloring or water proofing. Only one talks about conditioning: http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-suede-spray.html and even then its not really its core purpose)

Can you name one? (I have some reverse calf suede)

Not off hand. But I used to carry a product (and knew of several other brands) that were touted as cleaners and conditioners for suede. All of them were sprays. Meltonian had a product as I recall. Leather Magic and I think even Cavalier marketed a spray conditioner.

1) yes, that's probably correct...if you have access to the smooth side.

2) The products say you can. Any cleaner probably will condition the leather as well. But, of course, cleaning is almost as critical as conditioning. Maybe moreso.

3) Never tried that. Perhaps if you could atomize the liquid sufficiently it would work.

4) Ignorance? As I've said many times, there is no sin in ignorance only in choosing to remain ignorant. All leather needs cleaning and conditioning.

The Saphir may be the best product available...that's what I would use if it were me. But...

http://www.amazon.com/Meltonian-Sue...306&sr=8-3&keywords=Suede+Leather+Conditioner

leetpuma

Reaction score
Not off hand. But I used to carry a product (and knew of several other brands) that were touted as cleaners and conditioners for suede. All of them were sprays. Meltonian had a product as I recall. Leather Magic and I think even Cavalier marketed a spray conditioner.

1) yes, that's probably correct...if you have access to the smooth side.

2) The products say you can. Any cleaner probably will condition the leather as well. But, of course, cleaning is almost as critical as conditioning. Maybe moreso.

3) Never tried that. Perhaps if you could atomize the liquid sufficiently it would work.

4) Ignorance? As I've said many times, there is no sin in ignorance only in choosing to remain ignorant. All leather needs cleaning and conditioning.

The Saphir may be the best product available...that's what I would use if it were me. But...

http://www.amazon.com/Meltonian-Sue...306&sr=8-3&keywords=Suede+Leather+Conditioner

Cool I guess ill have to spring for the saphir stuff.

Oh and you said cleaning was almost as important as conditioning. Could you elaborate as to why this is? Is it just that cleaning opens the pores back up or something?

If i am able to get my hands on some scrap suede leather I may test the spray-lexol theory. If I do ill report back, but it may be sometime before I do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads