1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Quality and Properties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VegTan, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

I thought JL and EG would use Baker for their RTW line?.

2. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

That's interesting.

That said, if Baker were more available here in the US...but as you say, they're a small outfit--not going to happen.

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oops, how embarrassing: I dropped a nut! :)

Edward Green uses Rendenbach. I don't know what John Lobb (Northampton) uses. (Maybe their bottom leather comes from an Hermes-owned tannery.)

4. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

You know that Lisa is bringing it in (albeit at a hefty markup)? Perhaps given her previous participation in the group buy, she'd give you a break on price (as she should, imo). I had to encourage her to actually start using the stuff she originally bought, she was saving it....

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  5. DWFII

Yeah, well you had a big hand in the last group buy, as I recall.

PM sent.

6. DWFII

Yes, and I pounced on it! You know what they say about blind hogs....:crackup:

(Even a blind hog will find an acorn ever now and again)

7. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

I read in a thread here about Weston that their tannery supplies the soles to JL, but I do not know.

8. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Another "mistery" question. Why many makers mix their lining with veg and chrome leathers? Is it a matter of cost being chrome less expensive?.

[​IMG]

9. vmss

vmss Senior member

Which brand is the one with the mix? At least you have mix. I have come to realize that many makers are using more and more chrome tan linings.

I would think that carmina would use veg tan, but the linings are very thin chrome tanned leather.

I like the feel of a veg tan lining much better. Why are makers using more and more chrome tan lining? Was wondering that as well.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  10. DWFII

No mystery...

First, chrome tannage can cause allergies--dermatitis.

Second, most chromes...esp. those that are not are of such quality as to be used for upper, and are therefore less expensive... are finished with an opaque and somewhat occlusive "paint job." So they don't breathe as well as veg tans.

Why mix? I don't know a good reason. A good veg is everything a maker needs for a lining.

edited for punctuation and clarity

11. vmss

vmss Senior member

Why are the using more and more chrome linings? If veg tan linings was always the way too go.

12. DWFII

I dunno...I suspect (always) that it comes down to price and or marketability.

Heavily finished chrome tans can cover a multitude of surface blems and are always going to be cheaper, esp. in quality, than veg tans which cannot so easily disguise the scratches, etc..

Also, it's kind of the vogue to line shoes with bright eye-catching colours. That will always be the forte of chromes.

And as an aside, mass marketing campaigns have convince the average consumer that whether a leather or other material is occlusive or not is irrelevant...despite what generations of shoemakers and shoemaking Traditions have shown.

1 person likes this.
  13. vmss

vmss Senior member

I personally would prefer the natural honey brown color of veg tan linings a especially the feel.
    I have an Italian loafer and the veg tan leather feels so much great that the chrome lining.

Just wondering are people more interested here on the colors of linings? Is there really a demand for color linings? I think I read somewhere that someone mention the honey brown color of lining generic.

14. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

That is what I do nor understand: if veg is less expensive, smoother (to me) absorbs moisture (no occlusive) so prevents allergies, why not to use it in the whole lining?

The shoe showed was C&J Handgrade, and Carmina is full Chrome.

15. striker

striker Senior member

The following is taken directly from Gaziano Girling's webpage.

" We only use English oak bark for our soles. We do not use soles made using “oak bark techniques”, but only true oak-bark leather soles. Oak bark tanning is done over a 12 months period and Gaziano & Girling is the only shoe factory outside of bespoke shoemakers to use this material on all their shoes. Our oak bark soles are made in Devon, England, in tanning pits built by the Romans over 2000 years ago.
    Oak bark tanned soles are traditionally used only for bespoke shoes, as they are hard to work with and very costly. However Gaziano & Girling uses them for its full product range, as they are unquestionably the most comfortable and resistant leather soles in the trade."

I assume G&G is refering to Baker? If so, is J. Rendenbach leather just using Oak Bark techniques? This is abit confusing.

16. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

17. vmss

vmss Senior member

"The shoe showed was C&J Handgrade, and Carmina is full Chrome."
    I always thought that CJ handgrades linings were full veg tanned.

18. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

No. 3 pairs of HG and all mixed.

19. DWFII

That would definitely have to be Baker.

As for Rendenbach, from their website:

Valonea is acorn caps...often thought to be the source of the somewhat flint-y or brittle character of Rendenbach outsoles.

20. mw313

mw313 Senior member

I agree because the dermatitis from chrome tanning can be very problematic for people. Also in having the opaque and occlusive leathers can cause breath ability problems that can lead to fungal infections from the extra heat and moisture buildup in the footwear. That is very difficult to treat in the future as well because some of the treatment methods for the fungus are not very good for the leathers, but they have to be treated or the infection will recur even if the feet are cured once. The fungus and bacteria can continue to live in the footwear.