1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Leather Quality and Properties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VegTan, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

2. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Sorry for digging this post up from the past.

I have been looking to see if there are actually ways to condition suede. And have had very little luck. (All products seem to be either recoloring or water proofing. Only one talks about conditioning: http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-suede-spray.html and even then its not really its core purpose)

When you said:
    Could you point me to this conditioner for suede. I have been searching for one. But have only found the saphir one. (Also feel free to answer the above suede questions if you know the answers.)
    http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-suede-spray.html

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Interested in the same as well! I tried to put some lexol conditioner on a pair of suede boat shoes, just to test; they are noticeably softer, but got some whitish residue on them - I would not recommend on doing it on regular suede. I think Glenjay is talking about regular shampoo with coconut oil in it, like this.

4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Not off hand. But I used to carry a product (and knew of several other brands) that were touted as cleaners and conditioners for suede. All of them were sprays. Meltonian had a product as I recall. Leather Magic and I think even Cavalier marketed a spray conditioner.

1) yes, that's probably correct...if you have access to the smooth side.

2) The products say you can. Any cleaner probably will condition the leather as well. But, of course, cleaning is almost as critical as conditioning. Maybe moreso.

3) Never tried that. Perhaps if you could atomize the liquid sufficiently it would work.

4) Ignorance? As I've said many times, there is no sin in ignorance only in choosing to remain ignorant. All leather needs cleaning and conditioning.

The Saphir may be the best product available...that's what I would use if it were me. But...

http://www.amazon.com/Meltonian-Sue...306&sr=8-3&keywords=Suede+Leather+Conditioner

5. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

Cool I guess ill have to spring for the saphir stuff.

Oh and you said cleaning was almost as important as conditioning. Could you elaborate as to why this is? Is it just that cleaning opens the pores back up or something?

If i am able to get my hands on some scrap suede leather I may test the spray-lexol theory. If I do ill report back, but it may be sometime before I do.

6. DWFII

Dirt is often ground up rock. whatever it is comprised of it contributes to cracking of the leather. You may not see it on a suede but abrasion and drying take place.

7. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I've spent too much time on these threads -- when you said "lasts," I thought you were referring to, you know, the lasting process. I thought to myself "If the leather's easy to make retain the shape of a last, how could they lose money?"

But then I remembered what "to last" means in the real world, and I got it. Womp womp.

1 person likes this.
  8. leetpuma

leetpuma Senior member

I see that makes sense. Thank you for the info again.

9. DWFII

You're welcome.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

What exactly is "box calf" and why is it supposedly better than regular calf? Is it just an appearance thing? Does anybody have photos to explain this?

11. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Box calf has been staked in 2 directions, so in simplified theory the grain is goes from roundish to rectangularish to squarish via this staking. At least, that's the traditional description, more or less. In practice there should be much less stretch and irregularities in a true Box calf. It also used to only be allowed on Black Calf and similar staking on colored calf would be called Willow Calf......not sure if any of that is cared about any longer.

3 people like this.
  12. patrickBOOTH

Thanks, what do you mean by "staking"? Do you mean like stretched to dry during tanning?

13. Munky

Munky Senior member

So, can I use the same brushes that I use on my tan shoes on my burgundy ones. Or do I need to buy some new ones for the burgundy. I don't think this got answered.
    Very best wishes, Munky.

14. wurger

wurger Senior member

if you don't mind getting the tan shoes darkened, yeah, just one brush.

I use one brush for all of mine brown shoes, and the other one for black

15. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

Of course you can,Munky, but afterwards you won't want to use that same brush on your tan shoes :embar:

16. VegTan

VegTan Senior member

Here are a staking machine and its mechanism. Hardened leather after drying is sandwiched between vibrating stakes to soften the fibers of the leather.

Boarding by hand or machine is another method to soften leather. Besides softening, it develops grain patterns — willow grain, box grain, and pebbled grain. Box grain is considered as one of the origin of box calf.

Here are other explanations of its origin from Handmade Shoes for Men.

[​IMG]

These are current definitions.

1 person likes this.
  17. patrickBOOTH

That all sounds pretty harsh on the leather, no?

18. xabi2005

xabi2005 New Member

Hello everybody
    Please allow me to correct France T. Kegar is a partner of Weinheimer Leder. When Freudenberg closed, the beamhouse machinery was transferred to Kegar where the entire production is taken by Weinheimer Leder. All of Freudenbergs articles are still produced using Freudenberg methods.
    I would be happy to provide any further information should you wish.

19. patrickBOOTH

Moral of the story: Don't buy cheap leather products!!!

4 people like this.
  20. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Is such pollution synonymous with leather tanneries? How sad...