Leather Quality and Properties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VegTan, Jul 8, 2013.

1. wurger

wurger Senior member

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks to all the real experts on here who generously share their knowledge with us. Much appreciated.

3. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I buy a bit from Bakers - if I can be of any help arranging anything I'll try to be. They are difficult to deal with and have an amazingly confusing product range but if you like what they make there isnt anyone better in my experience Charlie

4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

5. Equus Leather

Not at all, pleased to help. I buy bridle and harness leathers from them so very different to what you use but I speak to Andrew Parr whose firm it is pretty regularly and we have regular shipments from them so I imagine it wouldnt be that hard to add bits to our order for us to ship on or somthing like that, provided a shipping method can be found.

Charlie

6. DWFII

Curious...what's the issue with "shipping method"? Why wouldn't they include an insole shoulder or outsole bend, rolled up, along with your harness sides?

PS...while I appreciate the offer, ...just to be clear...I would expect you to cover your costs and then some--profit is a good thing and an incentive. Which brings me to the next question--provided you can facilitate this with little or no fuss to yourself, would you want to be an ad hoc dealer for insole shoulder in the US? Maybe a half dozen other shoemakers at most?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013

7. Equus Leather

By shipping method I simply mean the getting the leather from us out to the States or wherever else. We send a lot of belts to the US but a butt/bend is a different weight category so would need to be UPS or similar I guess.

I dont have an issue in principal doing it on a small semi commercial basis, as long as we could establish what and how any issues are dealt with, ie quality which we'd have to refer back to Bakers and what are our issues, ie shipping. We are makers like you rather than leather dealers so it would need to be a simple scheme! Maybe we should take the details to PM?

Charlie

8. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

DW-ever work with armadillo leather? Does it polish up well? Hold up well over time?

9. DWFII

I've seen it., never worked with it. I don't even know anyone who tans or sells it. I've heard that armadillos can carry leprosy. If that's so, I guess I understand why no one is farming them or even harvesting wild ones.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wonder what Buffalo Bill conditions his hides with.

On another note, kind of throwing this out there for all and Glenjay to think about... With coconut oil, for some reason I was reading about soap making recently and discovered how simple of a process it is chemically. Anyhow coconut oil is the main starting point for a lot of soap, and when combined with an alkali the three fatty acids that make up the triglyceride that is coconut oil break off of the glycerin to form soap with the alkali and glycerin is left over. So, just thinking kind of out loud, would glycerin be a good conditioner for leather? I mean, it is a smaller molecule so would it penetrate better than pure coconut oil?

11. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

12. VegTan

VegTan Senior member

Belvoir Tack Conditioner Spray contains coconut oil and glycerin. They say "Glycerine - fills and seals any pores in the leather; forms a barrier against salt, dirt, grease and water".
    http://www.carrdaymartin.co.uk/product_details.html?cid=MQ==&pid=MTA=

Glycerin is a moisturizing agent like lanolin and Lexol cleaner contains it not to dry up leather.

13. Equus Leather

Glycerine saddle soap has been around since Noah was a boy and seems to do a reasonable job with saddlery. It tends to make the leather greasy to the touch and isnt good around leather you want to polish.

Charlie

14. DWFII

+1

It also picks up dust and grit and tends to collect in the creases...accelerating the chances of cracking.