Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Leather Quality and Properties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VegTan, Jul 8, 2013.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Maybe, where can I find it again?

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

I'm sorry, DW, I did mean 'misunderstand.'

3. DWFII

:fonz:

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm a bit late to the game here as I have been in Seattle for the last week or so, but I would be very curious to hear what DW says about Glens products. I said not long ago that I am kind of off the renovateur bandwagon in favor of lexol, but I am curious as to the migration issue with Glen's products. For example, Lexol states that they designed their conditioners to stay where they are applied so it doesn't get into adjacent clothing and such and I wonder if this holds true for flexing as well. I have always wondered whether many natural products, while great conditioners don't simply get "wrung out" as soon as the leather is flexed, whereas a Lexol stays in place and keeps conditioning. I'm curious on the thoughts of both Glen and DW.

5. VegTan

VegTan Senior member

To DWFII,
    I'm sure nobody has interest in our back-and-forth conversation. Let's drop it.

I guess it doesn't smell good because of fish oil. FWIW, here are a link to Amazon and Forwarding Service/Buying Service from Japan.
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-l...R8G/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en_JP
    http://www.tenso.com/en/guide/buy/index.html
    http://www.tenso.com/en/agent/index.html

I don't know how reliable tenso.com is: http://www.google.com/search?q="tenso.com"+review+-www.tenso.com&hl=en&btnG=Search

BTW, shipping & usage fee being probably higher than that wax, how about asking Nick for a conditioner that they use in process? (Did he abandon selling it?...Does he forget to sell it?...)

6. patrickBOOTH

It could be Venetian shoe cream that he is using^

7. DWFII

Funny, I'm currently kind of off Lexol and using Bick 4. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Lexol, I just like the feel of Bick4 a little better.

Anything that gets absorbed into the leather is going to stay in place. Think of leather as a fiber mat...with all these tiny pockets between the fibers. That's where a conditioner ends up--in the "in-between." Anything that sits on top is fugitive.

As far as migration issues...all creams that have dyestuffs in them are subject to rubbing off on clothing, etc.. Minute amounts, perhaps, but it's still there. If there are no dyestuffs, I wouldn't think any level of migration would be an issue with regards clothing especially if the product is comprised of materials that are not harmful to clothing. They would be invisible and eliminated with washing.

8. DWFII

We're not having a "conversation" (you don't do "conversation")...you're not reading anything I've said to you and you're not saying anything--you're just hiding behind someone else's words. And I've got a dollar that says VegTan is your second username on this board. More hiding, IMO.

I've spoken a number of times to both Skip and Nick and Venetian Cream is what Horween recommends for shell. I've tried it...I wouldn't use it on anything else, although I couldn't tell you why--just gut instinct. It's worth remembering that shell cordovan is not leather in the sense that calf or 'roo or even alligator is leather. It is not skin. It is a muscle sheath that sits under the skin. Sure it's a "preserved animal product" but so is ham. Shell has some properties that are different than a hide based leather. Foremost among them is that shell doesn't breathe much, if at all.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

9. patrickBOOTH

The venetian is a weird product. I have some and it does a very good job on the toe cap on calf as well as all over shell. It almost gives the same feeling and look when applied that bulling wax does. If you just use a drop and start swirling it on shell, or on the shiny toe of calf it gives a bulling effect. I emailed Nick about it and he said it does have conditioning properties, but the wax content is high and he wouldn't recommend it for "deep conditioning very old, dry shell."

10. DWFII

Hmmm, I'll have to try that. Thx.

11. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

What does bulling wax and bulling effect mean....?

12. DWFII

Sometimes spit shining is referred to as "bulling."

13. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Well, if one is using mineral oil, the effect will be "bull"-shit.

14. DWFII

While I want to agree, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Is there mineral oil in Venetian Cream? I don't think there was when I first came across the product back in the day. That's not to say the recipe hasn't changed, however.

15. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

I'm just kidding around. No meaningful contribution. A poor attempt to make a play on words regarding the mineral oil conversation and the topic of "bulling" toes.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013