• We would like to welcome LuxGentleman as an official Affiliate Vendor. LuxGentleman offers Neapolitan sartorial brands such as Isaia, Kiton, Borrelli, Sartoria Partenopea, D'Avenza, and Attolini, and Italian luxury brands like Loro Piana, Zegna, Canali, Cucinelli and Brioni at great prices. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Which leathers from Haas are you talking about? I'm very familiar with Novonappa (aka "Barenia" but I think that label is proprietary to Hermes) if that's what you're talking about…

Does anybody know of any difference in quality of modern Haas vs Freudenberg leathers?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you mean Haas today vs old German Freudenberg, or Haas today vs today’s Polish Weinheimer/“Freudenberg”? Either way one can say that Haas has loads of different leathers, so would need to be more specific.
What you would buy today. Box calf specifically.

Which leathers from Haas are you talking about? I'm very familiar with Novonappa (aka "Barenia" but I think that label is proprietary to Hermes) if that's what you're talking about…
Box calf.

ntempleman

Reaction score
don’t really use it any more, it’s hard to get Annonay in the U.K. now. I get my black/box calf mostly from a merchant called euroleathers who sell a Goldanil leather, or its Weinheimer. Never used Haas black calf, never even seen it

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What you would buy today. Box calf specifically.

Box calf.
Can’t say for sure I remember all 100% correct, was checking lots of skins when handled the Haas box, but would summarise like this:

Haas
Traditional french box, similar to Annonay’s vocalou, big hides, normal thickness for smooth calf (like 1.2-1.4mm)

Weinheimer
Smaller, thinner hides (like 1.0-1.2), more polish style box calf. Like Freudenberg were the last years, not the slightly thicker dense leathers that Freudenberg were further back (which made it famous).

Last edited:

ntempleman

Reaction score
1.2 is generally the thickness you want for men’s shoes, if made by hand. The Annonay vocalou was a bit thicker and quite stiff, it made up nicely though. I’d still use it if it was easier to get hold of, for certain shoes. The Goldanil currently using is better for most things, though all leather have their quirks so it’s best to use your experience to guide how you decide which to use

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Can Annonay be gotten at all? I was still counting on color #3708 for the brown oxfords I have planned… 😜

don’t really use it any more, it’s hard to get Annonay in the U.K. now. I get my black/box calf mostly from a merchant called euroleathers who sell a Goldanil leather, or its Weinheimer. Never used Haas black calf, never even seen it

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Q for the experts: What exactly is Latigo leather? I've heard the term and seen examples – hell I even own two pairs of "Latigo" sandals – but what is the technical definition?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last time I looked Annonay was even readily available here in the US...for a wonder.

Not precisely a technical definition but latigo is a veg retan that has been hot stuffed with oils and fat liquors.

Generally speaking you don't see much latigo in shoe weight leathers. It's more common for saddlery and harness. And generally only in a brownish red or a yellow or occasionally a black. But Horween had (or has) a four ounce latigo in a plethora colours which are great for 'country' shoes and or boots.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
When you say it’s a veg retan, do you mean it’s veg-tanned at the first stage?

Last time I looked Annonay was even readily available here in the US...for a wonder.

Not precisely a technical definition but latigo is a veg retan that has been hot stuffed with oils and fat liquors.

Generally speaking you don't see much latigo in shoe weight leathers. It's more common for saddlery and harness. And generally only in a brownish red or a yellow or occasionally a black. But Horween had (or has) a four ounce latigo in a plethora colours which are great for 'country' shoes and or boots.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Generally it's chrome tanned first, then veg tanned. I am not sure whether all retan is done in that sequence...I seem to recall someone telling me that it can be veg tanned first, but AFAIK, leathers like latigo are always chrome tanned first.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Got it. So in that case would CXL technically be a Latigo?

Generally it's chrome tanned first, then veg tanned. I am not sure whether all retan is done in that sequence...I seem to recall someone telling me that it can be veg tanned first, but AFAIK, leathers like latigo are always chrome tanned first.

Sartorium

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone in this thread can help. My wife is vegetarian but has finally decided she will get some leather shoes after throwing out her plastic pairs once a year. She's only ok with it if the leather comes from animals raised for meats. I know the high quality hides are not usually meat-first cattle (though I'm sure it gets used somehow). Are there any respectable shoe or bootmakers that use discards from the meat industry?

ntempleman

Reaction score
Crack were the U.K. district for Annonay but they only have 2 or 3 colours in stock, and the Annonay website lists a new U.K. distro who I’ve never heard of and who’s website doesn’t work

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone in this thread can help. My wife is vegetarian but has finally decided she will get some leather shoes after throwing out her plastic pairs once a year. She's only ok with it if the leather comes from animals raised for meats. I know the high quality hides are not usually meat-first cattle (though I'm sure it gets used somehow). Are there any respectable shoe or bootmakers that use discards from the meat industry?
All leather is from animals raised for meat. Calves etc haven't been raised with leather as main purpose for maybe 100 years or so.

Featured Sponsor

WHAT'S THE MAX NUMBER OF SHIRT BUTTONS YOU'LL UNDO BEFORE FEELING OUT OF PLACE?

• Just the collar button is enough for me.

• Two, including the collar button.

• Three, including the collar button.

• None.

Results are only viewable after voting.