• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather padfolio

mikeman

Reaction score
So, I had no idea where to post this, but figured the business section might be okay. Anyhow, I'm looking for a padfolio for work. I want something nice looking and made with nice materials. I found One Star Leather, and he offers some great choices. Most are made with Horween leather. I'm stuck between what size would be best. He offers a nice pad holder that will fit a 5x8 pad, or smaller options which hold notebooks like field notes. There are no options for a full size holder unless I went custom.

Which size do you think is best? the 5x8 seems like it would be a good all-around size. Other options?

Here are some pics of the holders I was thinking about.

5x8

3.5x 5 (Could fit in pocket)

Last edited:

JilSlander

Reaction score
Also on the hunt for a zipped padfolio, ideally >8.5x11".

mikeman

Reaction score
Problem I've found with most of the big brand options is that they are sooo busy, with 20 pockets, usually made of crappy leather, and a zipper is just one more thing to break.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
large or medium moleskine does it all for me

hendeourd

Reaction score
usually made of crappy leather, and a zipper is just one more thing to break.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont use a padfolio, but I can tell you now that the smaller one is not likely to be practical for on the job. I use the Field Notes booklets outside of work and they are nice for recipe lists, writing down addresses, passwords, and phone numbers, but that's it; which is fine because they fit in the back pocket perfectly. At work I use the Field Notes steno pad and it's just the perfect size.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, I had no idea where to post this, but figured the business section might be okay. Anyhow, I'm looking for a padfolio for work. I want something nice looking and made with nice materials. I found One Star Leather, and he offers some great choices. Most are made with Horween leather. I'm stuck between what size would be best. He offers a nice pad holder that will fit a 5x8 pad, or smaller options which hold notebooks like field notes. There are no options for a full size holder unless I went custom.

Which size do you think is best? the 5x8 seems like it would be a good all-around size. Other options?

Here are some pics of the holders I was thinking about.

5x8

3.5x 5 (Could fit in pocket)

I have been looking at these exact options as well. Did you end up ordering one?

mikeman

Reaction score
So I love the Rhodia pads--especially the No. 16. Keegan from One Star Leather ended up making one to fit the No. 16, as many people had requested it.

I had mine made with Herman Oak Bridle leather on the inside, and Green Horween chromexcel on the outside. Yes--I paid a pretty penny for this thing, but its so nice, not to mention everything is done by hand. The pictures don't do it justice...

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn! I'm a big fan of the green. Unfortunately I also love the red and blue. Indecision is the only thing that has stopped me from ordering one. How much did you pop for that one? $350?

Is there anything you DONT like about it?

mikeman

Reaction score

Damn! I'm a big fan of the green. Unfortunately I also love the red and blue. Indecision is the only thing that has stopped me from ordering one. How much did you pop for that one? $350?

Is there anything you DONT like about it?

Yeah, I like all of the colors as well. However, my favorite color is green... Actually it was $240 - expensive, but when you compare it to the mass produced stuff out there, it's a good deal in my opinion.

I can't say that there is anything I don't like. I mean, sure it would be nice to have it fit an 8.5x11 sheet, but I love the form factor of this one. Plus, you can always just fold your papers in half and slip it in-between like a folder.

Let me know if you want better pictures, or have any other questions!

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I like all of the colors as well. However, my favorite color is green... Actually it was $240 - expensive, but when you compare it to the mass produced stuff out there, it's a good deal in my opinion.

I can't say that there is anything I don't like. I mean, sure it would be nice to have it fit an 8.5x11 sheet, but I love the form factor of this one. Plus, you can always just fold your papers in half and slip it in-between like a folder.

Let me know if you want better pictures, or have any other questions!

Not bad on the price. I agree it is worth it. I've got a nice 8.5x11 already but I want something smaller, I actually found these guys on etsy before finding their regular website. Now I just have to nut up and pick a color.

mikeman

Reaction score
Same here. Etsy has some great stuff! And to just add to how impressive it is, it's a one man shop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads