• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather overcoat vs. Nylon/Microfiber vs. Wool

Popsandfriends

Reaction score
Hey,
Im looking to buy a knee length overcoat for when I wear suits (or possibly more casual yet sophisitcated attire). I have seen some very dressy leather jacket overcoats that look very nice, however are they more associated with school shooters than business or "the professional look"? single breasted Rainjackets are typically what I see detectives on TV shows like Law and Order wear, they seem to be the most professional. Wool jackets are formal looking, and only used during the colder winter months. Which jacket type would be best do you think? Comments appreciated!

stach

Reaction score
it sounds like you're looking for a coat as opposed to a jacket. Depending on your job, leather would be ok, but the most professional look would be wool or cashmere. Nylon is great for a storm coat.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't Al Pacino (or was it Andy GarcÃa) wear a nice leather overcoat in Carlito's Way?
Also, I have seen some very cool leather overcoats in World War II movies, they were normally worn by Germans, maybe they were by Hugo Boss. I think some were DB. There was quite an evil look about them, though, that may render them less appropriate for business wear.
By the way, I was in Berlin last year and in KaDeWe I saw a pin-stripe Karl Lagerfeld leather overcoat; it appeared to be made up of leather stripes sewn together with white thread, at least it looked like that, and that was what gave it that pinstripe effect. I thought it looked great.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I like leather trenchcoats. I almost got one in brown but it was too long; I think it was by RLPL.

Leather trenchcoats are a very Teutonic item and that is exactly what is attractive about them: the severe elegance. They are especially dramatic when draped with the collar popped rather than worn.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

Leather trenchcoats are a very Teutonic item and that is exactly what is attractive about them: the severe elegance.

trenchcoat.jpg

argoth

Reaction score
I can't pull off a leather overcoat. So for overcoats, I prefer cashmere/wool. You can have them treated with something like stormsystem for rain/snow/misc. weather protection also. Not sure I'd be wearing an overcoat outside of the colder months of the year.

an2759-1.jpg

Loro Piana has some beautiful "casual yet sophisticated" coats. I'm thinking martingala and explorer styles specifically. I wouldn't wear them with a suit though.

02_new.jpg

Arg

PS: not sure how to resize image links.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other day I saw in the Zegna shop window a Vicuña (Vicugna vicugna) overcoat at +EUR 18000 (around +USD 24000). I suggested to my wife that it could be an appreciated X-mas gift, but I do not really expect her to go for it...
Isn't that price a bit over the top? I am sure that the quality is excellent, but...
At what retail price can quality cashmere overcoats be bought?

Popsandfriends

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
The other day I saw in the Zegna shop window a Vicuña (Vicugna vicugna) overcoat at +EUR 18000 (around +USD 24000). I suggested to my wife that it could be an appreciated X-mas gift, but I do not really expect her to go for it...
Isn't that price a bit over the top? I am sure that the quality is excellent, but...
At what retail price can quality cashmere overcoats be bought?

Yes, where could I find wool/cashmere overcoats for around 100 dollars, or any SB overcoat type for that matter? I am a 38R

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
The other day I saw in the Zegna shop window a Vicuña (Vicugna vicugna) overcoat at +EUR 18000 (around +USD 24000).
Isn't that price a bit over the top?

Well, you could source your own vicuna for 2k per yard (4-5) from Tip Top and pay (1k and up, depending on the tailor) for CTM (Despos
wink.gif
).

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Popsandfriends
Yes, where could I find wool/cashmere overcoats for around 100 dollars, or any SB overcoat type for that matter? I am a 38R

$100 might not be a realistic budget, unless you're prepared to do some serious thriftshopping. Even at a discounter like Burlington Coat Factory, you should probably expect to pay at least $200 for something reasonably elegant and attractive, especially at this time of year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads