• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather or Rubber Soled Loafer/Driver for Almost Daily Wear

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I realized I spend about 10x the amount of money on sport coats than shoes, while I wear shoes everyday. I have a bunch of different loafers/driving shoes, but I like to have one brown main shoe that I wear most of the time. I'm about to retire that current shoe (driver) as it's getting worn.

I've searched threads regarding this since I know it's been discussed a lot, but I'm not sure I got the answer I'm looking for for my situation. Now that I'm looking at new shoes, I'm not sure whether to go with a leather sole or rubber sole. I would easily go with a leather sole other than the fact I'd be wearing it so often I'd have to get it replaced (as happened once with a Ralph Lauren leather soled loafer I wore often). Looking at the current driver that I wear as my go-to shoe, the rubber isn't what's wearing out. Should I go with rubber again? I like the look of leather. Additional info: I'm young, I like tan/brown, I want to be able to wear them with shorts. Also, any ideas on which ones? I've been looking at: C&J, RL Darlton Loafers, other RL loafers, etc. Who makes a very high end driver?

some ideas on what I like:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/006...large.jpeg?908

pPOLO2-8230128_lifestyle_v360x480.jpg

Thanks.

LanceW

Reaction score
I think you are wanting penny loafers. Get two and rotate them so that each gets at least one day of rest to dry between wearings. More rest is better.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
So I realized I spend about 10x the amount of money on sport coats than shoes, while I wear shoes everyday. I have a bunch of different loafers/driving shoes, but I like to have one brown main shoe that I wear most of the time. I'm about to retire that current shoe (driver) as it's getting worn.

I've searched threads regarding this since I know it's been discussed a lot, but I'm not sure I got the answer I'm looking for for my situation. Now that I'm looking at new shoes, I'm not sure whether to go with a leather sole or rubber sole. I would easily go with a leather sole other than the fact I'd be wearing it so often I'd have to get it replaced (as happened once with a Ralph Lauren leather soled loafer I wore often). Looking at the current driver that I wear as my go-to shoe, the rubber isn't what's wearing out. Should I go with rubber again? I like the look of leather. Additional info: I'm young, I like tan/brown, I want to be able to wear them with shorts. Also, any ideas on which ones? I've been looking at: C&J, RL Darlton Loafers, other RL loafers, etc. Who makes a very high end driver?

some ideas on what I like:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/006...large.jpeg?908

pPOLO2-8230128_lifestyle_v360x480.jpg

Thanks.

Are you looking for loafers (as pictured above) to driver in or driving shoes (see below pic)?

tods-shoes-men-02d.jpg

poissa

Reaction score
Wearing driving shoes daily is like wearing a hat to protect you from trauma in a football game. That said, if you like the style, go for it, I love suede Tod's
musicboohoo[1].gif

poissa

Reaction score
Don't get rubber soles. The way I look at driver's is if you can't afford to replace them all the time, you can't afford them. That said, Tod's make a good pair ~$325 last time I scored one.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
Don't get rubber soles. The way I look at driver's is if you can't afford to replace them all the time, you can't afford them. That said, Tod's make a good pair ~$325 last time I scored one.

What do you mean? None of my rubber soled shoes have worn down, its the body/shell that does.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean? None of my rubber soled shoes have worn down, its the body/shell that does.

If you are going with driving shoes? Then go to the Tod's outlet store @ Woodbury Commons mall to get them for less than or around $200. The Memorial Day is just around the corner.
Call to verify prices, stock, and sale dates.

poissa

Reaction score

Two things-

driving shoes with rubber soles aren't driving soles and they are hideous!

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two things-

wait what?

poissa

Reaction score
wait what?

driving shoes have rubber knubs not soles.

somethingclever

Reaction score
Two things-

i do not find these to be hideous at all. It's not a 'driving sole', but I also won't have to buy new shoes every summer!

I'm between those and Tod's, but there has to be another option somewhere...

graymerica

Reaction score
Don't get drivers for daily wear. If you wear down the nubs on Todds you can not replace them. Also, you may wear the toe of the show if there is no sole that wraps up the front.

Go for a solid rubber or leather sole in a loafer, not a driver. Drivers are for occasional wear, or while "driving"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads