• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leather lined English shoes

rollzst

Reaction score
hi, i am new here and have recently started to get into English shoe brands such as Church's, John Lobb, C&J ect. I have a question that i really would like to get answered.

What does it mean to have a shoe that is fully leather lined or half leather lined? Does it just mean the insole is leather or not?

I would really appreciate it if you guys could take a picture of the inside of a pair of Church fully lined shoe and a crocket and jones lined shoe.

I did purchase some church's that are meant to be fully leather lined but there is a separate heal plate so I'm worried I've been conned plus i just want to learn more about the art of shoes and would love to see pics of the inside of people shoes!

A lot is said on these forums about the outside of peoples shoes but people often neglect the materials and comfort on the inside. It would be great to see real photos of what the inside looks like on any English brands of shoes and I'm sure others would like to know this before making purchases.

Thanks all!

Rollzst

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather lined simply means that, it is lined with leather. The alternative is linen or textile lined. I have Church's that have both and while the linen lining is about 5% more comfortable it also wears down much faster.

The general consensus these days is that full leather represents better overall value due to the extended life.

I can't fit my camera inside my shoe. Apologies.

You didn't get conned, unless you find a cow that grows int eh shape of a shoe, there will always be bits o leather stacked, nailed, stretched and stitched into shape.

rollzst

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply so it's normal that even with leather lining there may still be a seperate heal piece? Is this common?

rollzst

Reaction score
By the way you live right by me lol I'm only down the road in Worcester! Any decent shoe shops you reccomend?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

.......so it's normal that even with leather lining there may still be a seperate heal piece? Is this common?

Yes, virtually all shoes (exception might be Allen Edmonds) fit a piece of leather as an additional liner of the insole (in shoemaking jargon it's called 'a sock'). That can be short (just covering the heel area), mid-length (covering heal and waist) or full-length (covering the entire sole).

The sock also carries the manufacturers name or the shoe brand (they might not always be the same).

rollzst

Reaction score
Thanks very helpful, I understand what the 'sock' is now. Is it better for the sock to be full length? I have found when just covering the heal it can sometimes slip down.

I am still struggling a little on how to identify if a shoe is leather lined. I often hear this is best. What I don't understand is if a shoe has a leather sole which most high end shoes do, surely they would all have leather lining as your foot would be resting on the inside of the 'leather' sole. Also if a shoe has a full length 'sock' surely you would not be able to tell whether there was leather lining underneath the sock and even if there wasn't how would it matter if the 'sock' is glued in?

Excuse my ignorance on this, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

....... if a shoe has a leather sole which most high end shoes do, surely they would all have leather lining as your foot would be resting on the inside of the 'leather' sole.

photo_construction.jpg

Your foot does not rest on the inside of the (outer) sole. A standard 'Goodyear-welted' shoe has two soles: insole (that's the one in contact with your foot) and outsole (in contact with the ground). 'Lining refers to the lining of the upper leather (the lining covers the raw flesh-side of the leather and also hides some necessary devises like toe and heel stiffeners, which are needed to give the shoe stability.

rollzst

Reaction score
today i went into crockett and jones and saw first hand the lining in their shoes. the cheaper bench grade and the more expensive hand grade both have leather lining but the hand grade have a full length leather sock inside which is much better imo.

I now completely understand about the linings. It seems all shoes at the prices of crockett and jones, church ect should have a full leather sock it would cost them pennies to put in and is much nicer on the foot!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics