• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leather kicks

moykky

Reaction score
Hmm, you want full-grain leather or corrected-grain leather? If you want full-grain leather, I think your possibilities are extremely limited. It would be beneficial for your quest to look also corrected-grain leather kicks. Adidas campus with natural rubber sole is true classic...

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by moykky
Hmm, you want full-grain leather or corrected-grain leather? If you want full-grain leather, I think your possibilities are extremely limited. It would be beneficial for your quest to look also corrected-grain leather kicks. Adidas campus with natural rubber sole is true classic...

exactly, full-grain is rare. I was thinking about some kicks with SHOE leather quality that actually improves with age, etc. Not corrected-grain.
SOme full-grain sambas would be disgustingly sick.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would be the point? Sneakers would break before full grain leather would break in, and you can't resole them.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, I think most athletic-inspired sneakers would be pretty ugly done with shoe leather--their appeal is often in the colorways and cuts that would be unfeasible with anything other than the garment-quality or synth leather they use. Suede seems to be the exception.

As I'm guessing you've seen, some companies make indoor soccer shoes with kangaroo leather, which is nice. This samba is slightly modified from the classic, and features kangaroo leather.

Edit: As VMan astutely points out below, there are a good number of (ahem, ugly) sneaker/shoe hybrids that probably use quality leather. Lance at VCH has a new shipment of Certos, and some other shoes that fit the bill. Design appeal varies
eh.gif

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano
exactly, full-grain is rare. I was thinking about some kicks with SHOE leather quality that actually improves with age, etc. Not corrected-grain.

What about some of the shoes made by Pantofola d'Oro? They appear to use full-grain leather (though they are expensive):

http://www1.yoox.com/searchResult/YO...tskay/3FD17CD7

minya

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackplatano

Common Projects

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads