1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by drizzt3117, Nov 24, 2004.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

What do you guys think are the best leather jackets, and which of the non-speciality leathers do you like the best?

I have a loro piana leather coat, which is great, but was quite expensive and 3/4 length, and I don't wear it too often. I also have a Zegna bomber jacket which I wear quite a bit more often and is great as well, but is very soft and not durable at all.

I wear leather quite often (60-75% of the time), and my primary leather wear consists of an Emporio Armani leather blazer (which is quite nice) an Emporio Armani bomber jacket (which is quite nice as well) and a Hugo by Hugo Boss leather coat (thanks Renault78law) that is nice as well.

I have had good luck with Armani black label and Emporio Armani leatherwear, and haven't found very big differences in the quality of their lambskin, which appears to be top notch, if not in the class of Seraphin, LP, or Zegna. The Hugo jacket seems to be a little lower quality, but still excellent and better than that of Z Zegna, Bruno Magli, and Bally.

Any thoughts on the quality of Andrew Marc, Versace, Cole Haan, Coach, Jil Sander, Prada, Gucci, and the like? I haven't experienced any of their leatherwear so I was curious to see what people's experiences were.

2. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

I have a leather Prada sportscoat and peacoat--both are high quality.

Marc Andrew is of middle quality. I've got several suede shearlings that are quite durable.

The Loro Piana shearling I have has held up well. My suede "horsey" jacket is the best.

The Armani Black Label leather overcoat of mine seems to be bullet-proof. The suede sportscoat I have is very soft but seems to be holding up.

I've a brown and a black Jil Sander leather overcoats that are of the highest quality.

Valentino leather overcoat is of a very soft but heavy duty skin.

RLPL leather is always of very high quality and wears well.

I have a RL leather windbreaker with a sleeve rip that keeps getting bigger with every wear.

Kiton and Brioni leathers are the highest quality and wear very well.

Rizal is a French brand that is high quality that has worn well.

Zegna leather jackets and sportscoats are of high quality. I've had no durability problems whatsoever. Their shearlings jackets have held up great.

Schott leather jackets are most durable and generally have quality leather. The hardware--snaps, zippers, etc--seem very durable. I have hoodies, baseball (wool body), windbreakers, biker and the like and they all wear well--i.e, walking the 125 lb. doberman.

I've a number of Valention shearling hoodie coats that are so soft and fine that I've treat them like Kiton and Brioni and avoid rough handling. Maybe they could take rougher wear but I've got the Schott jackets for that.

I got a Jil Sander matte leather carcoat seems bullet-proof as with a Missoni leather carcoat.

3. tedbearz

tedbearz Senior Member

Aero, Lostworlds and Eastman make very high quality leather jackets. More of the bomber/military type.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

That is an almost disturbing amount of leather.

5. Fashionslave

Fashionslave Senior Member

3 Vintage Buco horsehide motorcycle jackets,1 Vintage Langlitz MC Cascade leather  jkt , 1 Lewis Leathers Bronx MC jacket,1 Dolce & Gabbana Calfskin car coat,1 Stussey police style zip front Black leather jkt, 2 Vintage Schott MC jackets ,1 Vintage Wolf leather jkt,1 Red  or Dead (England) Blk leather, ---Now that's definitely a disturbing amount of BLACK leather..I guess I'll always be a sucker for a cool black leather jacket.. [​IMG]

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

almost all my leather is black, I only have one brown varvatos jacket...