Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Leather Jackets: Traditional, Military, Moto, Heritage Brands and Reproductions

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ChrisGold, Sep 2, 2015.

1. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Great jackets, I agree about the color on the Belstaff, very nice. I do think that of the major "brands", RRL continues to do the best job with leather jackets, and it shows in your pics. Would love to see more of your collection, I'm going to slowly add in more of my jackets so we can build this thread up.

I'm hoping @adroit adds some of his great jackets soon. (Hint, hint)

2. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

@gnatty8
    Make sure to snap a couple pics of the EP Mulberry the next time you wear it. I really liked that design, and suspect it would appeal to those who are looking for a nice leather jacket that makes less of a statement.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Well, since this thread was my idea, you can now see some of me, and Casa Styleforum in all it's disarray (the cleaners haven't come yet).

This is my Bison jacket, made by Johnson's leather, and originally a prototype for a project that ultimately never go off the ground. Of note is the classic buco style collar, the beautiful 3.5 ounce (could be slightly less) American Bison, which is very thick and soft, but very strong, with a beautiful grain, and the black excella zips, imo, the nicest modern zips on the market.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And my go to, my RRL gambler in a mid to heavy weight (I would say 3 ounce, cowhide. You can tell that I've worn this thing a while, and hard.
    [​IMG]

4. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

Really liking that bison hide. I'm dealing with Alan right now on an order for a variation of their m200. I'll be sure to contribute once it's in hand.

5. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

@LaGuy, the RRL is perfectly broken in, looks great. Bison is a nice choice for a unique grain, and as you say, for a heavier leather it tends to be pretty supple right away. I like the blacked out zips here which puts the focus more on the bison hide.

6. shoewizz

shoewizz Well-Known Member

great thread! lots of beautiful jackets. I dont know much about leather jackets, so I checked out some of the companies in the first post.

i was wondering if anyone has recommendations for "cheap" leather and suede jackets - in the $500 and under range.

Obviously you dont want to go to low and get PU or other processed, low quality leather. but are there good options out there for those looking to spend just a few hundred?

7. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Used is probably your best option, especially if you're looking at the styles in this thread. Vintage jackets are their own, cool thing - if you're set on new, it's better to save up for something you really want.

8. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

I'm with Synth. If you gave us a better idea of the designs you're looking for than we may be able to point you in a slightly more specific direction but it's slim pickings <$500 new

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015

9. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

LA Guy, I'd love some more photos of that Johnson jacket please!

10. js0930

js0930 Senior member

Keep an eye on eBay. I picked up a Schott cosmetic second for under $300 I still wear 6 years later. Lost worlds also sells stuff in eBay if you're into that repro look.

11. js0930

js0930 Senior member

12. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Well, I'm glad this thread got featured on the home page or else I doubt I would have stumbled across it.

Maybe I'll take some pics of my 15 year old Lost Worlds G-1 repro. Somewhere in a box I have a vintage Cable Raincoat A-2 from WWII sans the wool wristers.

13. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Aero Ridley Cross Zip in black CXL HH.

[​IMG]

14. js0930

js0930 Senior member

@avsmusic1

This is out of left field, but check out the Schott x Lucky collab on Lucky's website. All at $500 or under (and you might be able to stack another 20% off but I haven't tried), free shipping and returns, and Schott tends to have pretty good quality control.

15. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Senior member

Good call @js0930 - A couple sharp looking options. That A2 doesn't look half bad - though the purists may think it's blasphemous.