• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading to nyc in a few weeks and looking to try on some leathers. Plan on stopping at selfedge (FCL James is interesting but not sold on black) and The Armoury to check our the rmc db jacket.

Open to recommendations! Thanks

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heading to nyc in a few weeks and looking to try on some leathers. Plan on stopping at selfedge (FCL James is interesting but not sold on black) and The Armoury to check our the rmc db jacket.

Open to recommendations! Thanks

In addition to Self Edge, Schott NYC is worth a visit. RRL is also worth a visit - the store has RRL leathers, and an assortment of vintage leathers as well. Blue in Green Soho also has a good assortment of things, including Toys McCoy.

The Armoury is great - a bit departure from the other stores though, depending on your style.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not the kind of db jacket you are thinking of... I would say it's more a lancer jacket.

Ah, I see that we are back to that old chestnut. Double riders used to just be called "motorcycle jacket", as opposed to the "cafe racer", which were so named to differentiate them from things like motorcycle gangs. The Honda company, in particular, sought to make the distinction between sport riders and "motorcycle" riders It wasn't that long ago that what is pretty basic streetwear now would have been a very tough thing to pull off outside of specific subcultures.

The meanings of words, both in what they describe, and the semiotic baggage that they carry, change.

Though, it's fun to say lancer. I also enjoy the term "Lounge Suit".

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see that we are back to that old chestnut. Double riders used to just be called "motorcycle jacket", as opposed to the "cafe racer", which were so named to differentiate them from things like motorcycle gangs. The Honda company, in particular, sought to make the distinction between sport riders and "motorcycle" riders It wasn't that long ago that what is pretty basic streetwear now would have been a very tough thing to pull off outside of specific subcultures.

The meanings of words, both in what they describe, and the semiotic baggage that they carry, change.

Though, it's fun to say lancer. I also enjoy the term "Lounge Suit".

You do realize that my use of the lancer term was 100% ironic, right?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do realize that my use of the lancer term was 100% ironic, right?
Yeah, but someone was bound to jump on it, I think. So I decided to do it first and also interject some nerd knowledge.

Nader393

Reaction score
Fun fact: Ed Harris' character in that movie rode a Honda CBX. A 6-cylinder, alpha-male beast of a bike. Probably the best part of an otherwise terrible movie.

CBX.jpg

Nader393

Reaction score
I wanted a double rider jacket I could actually wear more often, in earnest, rather than that "Street Pirate" jacket I've been using as a Halloween costume once a year. So I got a Vanson (big surprise) "Road Bandit" which is less generously zippered, collared, and lapelled than the flamboyant "Street Pirate." Okay, that's not their real names. Vanson calls them "Rocker" and "Highwayman." Which is just as bad. Here's the comparo, open and closed:

IMG_5763.jpg
IMG_6330.jpg
IMG_5762.jpg
IMG_6328.jpg

Nader393

Reaction score
This first one is a really nice, custom-ordered (not by me) Vanson "Ike" that was advertised as a medium. Shame it doesn't fit. Two kinds of leather, and zippered sleeves. Even has the serial numbered key fob. So, just recently, I stumbled into this better fitting Ike. A good opportunity to right a wrong in my growing collection. This one's leather's not as fancy, and the sleeves are looser than I like at the cuff. I may send it in to get trimmed and zippers installed like the little one. Still, I like Ike.

IMG_6333.jpg
IMG_6337.jpg

michaellosauro

Reaction score
This first one is a really nice, custom-ordered (not by me) Vanson "Ike" that was advertised as a medium. Shame it doesn't fit. Two kinds of leather, and zippered sleeves. Even has the serial numbered key fob. So, just recently, I stumbled into this better fitting Ike. A good opportunity to right a wrong in my growing collection. This one's leather's not as fancy, and the sleeves are looser than I like at the cuff. I may send it in to get trimmed and zippers installed like the little one. Still, I like Ike.

View attachment 1299616 View attachment 1299617
The second one looks better by a million miles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads