• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't share that Instagram post to laugh at them, I posted it to laugh with them. These Fine Creek jackets aren't severely tight like you would expect wearing anything from Heidi Slimane. They're just really stiff when new. The appeal for the brand, at least for me, isn't the buzz words, it's the design decisions they're doing for certain styles. I have their FallsChurch jacket. I didn't buy it thinking it's going to develop some sick brown fades over time. I bought it because it's one of the best denim jacket styles I've seen on leather.

@Understatesman I hope you realize this whole "brand story" thing was just a little joke, just like never buttoning up your coat no matter how cold it gets. *Looks nervously at Derek* While it's nice we have a community that shares development of garments worn in over time, it is not the reason anyone is buying these jackets or denim. These are just hard wearing clothes that look good new and continue to look good old.

No I understand that, but I'm currently in Japan for a while, and although everyone in those stores and amekaji places are super nice, it is comical how hard some of them try to create patina. Like paying people to **** up your boots so it looks like you are a painter. I talk **** because in some ways I have definitely done that before to give a more edgy punk vibe so I see the similarities and irony. I guess more so I see it off putting because it makes the jackets look crazy uncomfy haha.

That doesn't stop me from one day wanting a fine creek leathers edward, but 1500 USD is still a bit much right now!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting discussion gents. Having recently watched the Buzz Bissinger HBO doc with my wife, I’m more concerned what she’s thinking about my leather jacket purchases over the last few years.

I will never watch that documentary with my wife. Literally, nothing good can come from that.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The connection was dressing to stand out (my question: standing out for who, guys? Because women don't like the look.) vs. dressing for oneself. The poster assumed since I questioned it, it must mean I'm on the banal path of only dressing to impress women. I was trying to show how there can be yet other motivations for how one chooses to dress.
That's the thing though, you're the one that made the initial assumptions. That's why you got so many comments. You assumed that they were dressing for other guys. You made a judgment about someone else's motivations, and then you seem to be flabbergasted that someone would view you through that exact same narrow lens. You don't need to show anyone here that there are other motivations for how one chooses to dress all of the sudden. Your initial post said the opposite.

"These guys are going through all this trouble with leather jackets just to impress other guys? No thanks."
"That's how you think about clothes? That's messed up."
"...OF COURSE NOT, let me try to show how there can be yet other motivations for how one chooses to dress."

Kinda blows my mind that you don't see how that comes off. But at the end of the day, whatever, and no hard feelings, so this is the last I'll say on it. I hope you're able to find some pieces that feel good to you and make you feel good.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@d4nimal I can see that now. Yeah, I kind of started the whole assumption thing.. My bad.

@ Nader393 Brand story. Also, something about how in olden days jacket companies would often have to mismatch panels because the leather supply being limited ... or something. So FCL incorporated that idea into purposely making mismatched panels their thing. An homage, if you will.

Nader393

Reaction score
@d4nimal I can see that now. Yeah, I kind of started the whole assumption thing.. My bad.

@ Nader393 Brand story. Also, something about how in olden days jacket companies would often have to mismatch panels because the leather supply being limited ... or something. So FCL incorporated that idea into purposely making mismatched panels their thing. An homage, if you will.

Huh, that would be like making an earnest, expensive reproduction of Denise Huxtable's version of a Gordon Gartrell shirt she made for Theo.
theo.jpg

Nader393

Reaction score
Following up on my own post, Denise tried to make him an exact replica because Theo's parents refused to pay $90 for the original "Gordon Gartrell" designer shirt. Cliff (the dad) went so far as to say that any 14 y.o. wearing a $90 shirt better be up on stage with his 4 brothers. (This was the '80's.)

Theo is obviously upset how his replica shirt came out, especially because he was going to wear it to impress his girlfriend whom he was about to take out on a date that night. When the girlfriend sees the crazy shirt, she thinks it's made by the hot new Japanese designer "Itchy Amorada," and Theo goes with it, ultimately grateful to Denise for making it.

Anyone else remember all this? Alright, I'll show myself out...

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, I just rewatched the whole show a couple of weeks ago. Hilarious. As is usual with a sitcom they stretch the parody of fashion a bit far with the girl liking that disaster of a shirt and with Denise even thinking he wouldn’t notice how bad it was. It’s a sitcom though so I’ve put way too much thought into my critique.
Also, I like the FCL mismatched thing.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Following up on my own post, Denise tried to make him an exact replica because Theo's parents refused to pay $90 for the original "Gordon Gartrell" designer shirt. Cliff (the dad) went so far as to say that any 14 y.o. wearing a $90 shirt better be up on stage with his 4 brothers. (This was the '80's.)

Theo is obviously upset how his replica shirt came out, especially because he was going to wear it to impress his girlfriend whom he was about to take out on a date that night. When the girlfriend sees the crazy shirt, she thinks it's made by the hot new Japanese designer "Itchy Amorada," and Theo goes with it, ultimately grateful to Denise for making it.

Anyone else remember all this? Alright, I'll show myself out...

I vaguely recall, don't remember the ending as you describe but I loved that show as a kid. They don't make them like they used to I'll tell you that. Cartoons nowadays are trash too.

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I vaguely recall, don't remember the ending as you describe but I loved that show as a kid. They don't make them like they used to I'll tell you that. Cartoons nowadays are trash too.
the kind of tolerance that gave writers and comedians creative freedom no longer exist today. Now you cannot do or say certain things cause so many people are waiting to be offended rather than entertained...…...

That shirt is very comme des garcons Rei would be happy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics