• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly this type of stuff just makes me laugh at the whole rugged looking clothing vibe, but at the same time, am I really any different when I used to paint/patch/destroy my clothing when I used to be much more active in the punk scene. Still some how this **** put me off from the whole tight leather jackets with tea core leather thing that seems mad popular as of late.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yup!

Also gets me wondering ... wait, at the end of the day, are guys just doing all this to impress other guys? Because sure as hell this "I-found-this-vintage-leather-jacket-behind-the-trashbin-and-have-slept-in-it-since" fake brand-story **** is not the most attractive to women as an aesthetic usually.

Like, can we be honest about whose really admiring our teacore elbow creasing (or selvedge denim jeans stacks for that matter)? Other dudes. So all this effort is to ... impress other dudes? Pass.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yup!

Also gets me wondering ... wait, at the end of the day, are guys just doing all this to impress other guys? Because sure as hell this "I-found-this-vintage-leather-jacket-behind-the-trashbin-and-have-slept-in-it-since" fake brand-story **** is not the most attractive to women as an aesthetic usually.

Like, can we be honest about whose really admiring our teacore elbow creasing (or selvedge denim jeans stacks for that matter)? Other dudes. So all this effort is to ... impress other dudes? Pass.

Although I will say that men trying to impress other men has probably always been a thing. I feel like people for the longest probably pretended it was for the ladies, but honestly being/doing/looking better than the guy next door is part of human nature.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, I only dress a certain way that I think makes me look good and makes me feel comfortable. I don't do it because I am convinced all other men or women think I look good. Ymmv

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ Yup!

I think what women find most attractive is when guys buy 18 of the same leather jacket and post front/ side photos of each for feedback.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yup!

Are you saying the way you dress is primarily a way of impressing women? That's like some Alpha M type of nonsense.

The goal of developing your personal style should be to feel good about what you're wearing for yourself, to wear things that fit your personality. It isn't to develop a general aesthetic that nets you the largest chance of getting laid. Jesus christ. You're completely right that very little women care about whisker fades or elbow creasing. But who cares, unless that's what you're primarily trying to cater to. That's a super sad way to direct your style, or live in general, imo. At the end of the day, if that's how you choose to dress, it's your choice, but don't assume it's everyone else's. I'm not saying "don't care about what any woman thinks," but the proportion of women that can spot the difference between almost anything we discuss on this forum is almost nil. Guys are here because we are drawn to different types of style, and it's nice to discuss those with people who care about the same.

You think a random woman gave two craps about the miniscule differences between the 20 jackets you tried on and fit pic'd? All this effort to ... impress other dudes?

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly when I think of an alpha male and leather, I just think about International Mr. leather.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ Yup!

Honestly, I do it for myself. As in, I dress the way I dress if I am going to see no one at all that day (then I see my kids, my wife, and the "mother's helper" who I sometimes see in passing, or if I'm going down to the gym, (I'll change there) or if I'm going out to dinner at a nice restaurant, or if I'm spending the week in London, or in Florence at Pitti Uomo. Actually, I have to think a bit more when I am out of town because I really like about three knits, and can easily throw a couple of them in the wash for the next day, while at Pitti I can't really do that, so I have to bring a few more things that I don't wear as often. Also, I can only bring a few pairs of shoes, while I home I usually pick from about six to twelve pairs on any given day. Incidentally, this includes jewelry, watches, etc.. for that matter. It feels psychologically comfortable because it fits my internal narrative of my identity. Also, I just like clothing and accessories.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dress the way I dress because it makes me happy, if I think too much about what I'm wearing in a fussy way, it goes. I also do not consciously care about how others view me, but maybe it's because I have other hobbies that occupy my brain space. My wife likes the clothes I wear (probably because it's mad unisex and we share at times), my mom is a seamstress and helps me create some things (no matter how goofy), and frankly those are the most important women in my life so there is no one to impress.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a very limited wardrobe and ultimately only buy something that looks flattering on me in the sense that it renders me invisible and blends me in. I don't like standing out. Allow me to explain ...

I wear my hair medium-longish, always have because my ears are malformed and I wear a hearing aid behind one ear. I don't have a choice. If I wore it short, they'd be too visible. And I'd stick out for the wrong reasons and not in a good way. But in a, "****, did you see that guy?" way. I've had more than a few people literally ask me if I was burned, to give you an example. Growing up with kids staring at you and doing double takes when you walk around in public gets old quick.

So I'm forced wear my hair in a not-the-most-professional, wow-you-never-grew-out-of-your-teen-years-huh way. I believe it limits my professional prospects, and my style options. You won't find me wearing khakis and polos and I won't be joining any yacht clubs anytime soon. So yeah ... you could say I'll never blend in because of it.

Long story short, I choose what I wear because I would rather not turn heads but still match my limited aesthetic which happens to lean towards the musician look (which helps because I am a musician/artist type). I wear what I wear because I, too, want to be comfortable and it's not even about "impressing da ladiez," like some of you might be implying.

As for the 20 jacket try-on marathon, in my opinion it's a fine line between looking try-hard vs. natural when it comes to double rider jackets. And I don't want to look try-hard in that respect (gotta blend in, but can't pull off the preppy look either). Ultimately, I've decided I'm just not going to be comfortable in a DR, despite my appreciation of the aesthetics of them.

Happy?
I feel bad for you man, but because you seem to have allowed your appearane cripple you socially, to the point where you feel that your professional options are limited.

Speaking from personal experience, I think that you are probably much less limited than you might think. You are probably not wrong in that it's tougher for you, but there is no a priori reason to believe that those limitations are insurmountable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads