• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I've been in the mood to get my first double rider, but I'm kinda at a loss with so many available. I err more to the vintage side and tend to envision something more punk. I like all these Japanese ones but they seem too skin tight for me with some of the self edge models looking like they are extremely constrained in em.

Does anyone have experience in actual models from the 50s? I like stuff I see on ebay, but also don't want to look like a bad fonzie cosplay. Whats the biggest difference between what's being made today and those made back then? Sorry if this has been answered already, went back 300-400 pages before I decided to post.

I have a vintage Schott, but I don't know what decade it's from. As far as I can tell, the 1950s ones were basically built for actual riding, whereas the newer fashion models are basically made to make you look good.

Depending on which two models you're comparing against, vintage Schotts vs newer fashion stuff will differ in:

1. Vintage ones tend to be shorter because they're meant for you to sit on a bike
2. Vintage ones tend to be a bit rounder in terms of their silhouette.
3. Prob most significantly, vintage ones tend to have underarm gussets to build in movement. Sometimes these are called football gussets cause they're shaped like footballs. The result is a fuller-looking upper sleeve. You can have these gussets taken out if you have a good leather alterationist.

I don't think it would look like Fonzie cosplay, but it's definitely more of a biker, punk look. I think it works on some guys, but it's harder to pull off than a non-rider DR (even Schotts). When it's worn with, like, dad jeans, it just looks like a baggy DR. Some Schotts have a slightly slimmed up body, no gusset, and longer length, as well any combination of those things to suit different preferences. If you search the archive, you can find people talking about the different Schott models.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the Real McCoys one. I love mine so much that I am contemplating a second just as a backup...
I remember seeing a brown one on the bay for something crazy cheap like $400 and I was like uggggghh I already have funds set aside for something else, and poof, gone. Man I hate myself.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a vintage Schott, but I don't know what decade it's from. As far as I can tell, the 1950s ones were basically built for actual riding, whereas the newer fashion models are basically made to make you look good.

Depending on which two models you're comparing against, vintage Schotts vs newer fashion stuff will differ in:

1. Vintage ones tend to be shorter because they're meant for you to sit on a bike
2. Vintage ones tend to be a bit rounder in terms of their silhouette.
3. Prob most significantly, vintage ones tend to have underarm gussets to build in movement. Sometimes these are called football gussets cause they're shaped like footballs. The result is a fuller-looking upper sleeve. You can have these gussets taken out if you have a good leather alterationist.

I don't think it would look like Fonzie cosplay, but it's definitely more of a biker, punk look. I think it works on some guys, but it's harder to pull off than a non-rider DR (even Schotts). When it's worn with, like, dad jeans, it just looks like a baggy DR. Some Schotts have a slightly slimmed up body, no gusset, and longer length, as well any combination of those things to suit different preferences. If you search the archive, you can find people talking about the different Schott models.

Thanks for the write up, that is actually really helpful. I'm going to the rosebowl this weekend so I'm hoping to try some out and see how I feel. I was considering getting the real mccoy's buco j-24, but at the price I should see if vintage has more of the vibe I'm going for since I see very awesome looking hercules and buco going for much less. I am tall and skinny so it's possible older ones might look too oversized, but I mean if it worked for early punk bands, it'll probably work for me.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the Real McCoys one. I love mine so much that I am contemplating a second just as a backup...

This one?

rmc_roughout_west.jpg

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noob question but I'm looking at a suede trucker and wondering how do you guys with shorter arms deal with extra length on the sleeves?

I've read mixed things about shortening and possibly I'm over thinking it all since coming from the menswear side.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of suede trucker jackets, what do you guys think of this one for the price? Still seems a little high, and I do not love the "Polo" branding above the pocket, but I love the idea of a suede trucker.

Polo Suede Trucker

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up, that is actually really helpful. I'm going to the rosebowl this weekend so I'm hoping to try some out and see how I feel. I was considering getting the real mccoy's buco j-24, but at the price I should see if vintage has more of the vibe I'm going for since I see very awesome looking hercules and buco going for much less. I am tall and skinny so it's possible older ones might look too oversized, but I mean if it worked for early punk bands, it'll probably work for me.

You could look at something like Lewis Leathers Bronx twin track. Joey Ramone approved, and you could get custom lengths if you're tall (and cheaper than Buco). Aero's mc jackets have the 50's style cut also. A vintage Hercules or something might be cool though.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Noob question but I'm looking at a suede trucker and wondering how do you guys with shorter arms deal with extra length on the sleeves?

I've read mixed things about shortening and possibly I'm over thinking it all since coming from the menswear side.

The cuffs should be tight enough so they don't slip down your hand. It's like a dress shirt, in that regard. But if you really wanted, you could get the sleeves shorted a little at the cuff or armhole. You would just need a leather alterationist.

Mostly, I don't think casualwear needs to be as exacting as tailoring, but I suppose it depends on how far off something is for you.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cuffs should be tight enough so they don't slip down your hand. It's like a dress shirt, in that regard. But if you really wanted, you could get the sleeves shorted a little at the cuff or armhole. You would just need a leather alterationist.

Mostly, I don't think casualwear needs to be as exacting as tailoring, but I suppose it depends on how far off something is for you.

Thanks for the response. Shopping online makes it difficult to tell exactly how it'll fit.

I'm actually heading to San Francisco for my anniversary next weekend, any recommendations on local leather shops for a suede jacket?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Shopping online makes it difficult to tell exactly how it'll fit.

I'm actually heading to San Francisco for my anniversary next weekend, any recommendations on local leather shops for a suede jacket?

I don't know if they have suede, but Self Edge and Standard & Strange have leather jackets.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dondavi

Reaction score
I have a black leather jacket from italy that said it's "water washed" I can't seem to find what that means online. Also, should I treat the jacket with those leather sprays like shoes? I might be going out to bars a lot this fall, don't really want to stain it. Then again it''s black, so maybe wouldnt be a big issue? Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads