• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This ad, photo, whatever, rubbed me wrong. I must be pretty simple. I see that model, and I think... would I look like that wearing that jacket?

But isn't that the point of models wearing the advertised garment? To be inspirational, if not aspirational? On the opposite end of the spectrum, go look at Vanson's catalog. Un-models, with dad bodies.

No, I don't think so. You can look at clothes without wondering what you'd look like in them. Just like I can go into a museum and look at Goya's "Saturn Devouring His Son" without wondering whether I want that hanging in my bedroom. You can appreciate fashion just for its visual aesthetic without injecting yourself into the clothes or personalizing the objects.

And no, models and lookbooks don't have to be aspirational. Fashion-forward lines can use product photos, models, lookbooks, marketing campaigns, and all sorts of images to convey other things -- an idea, a mood, a visual reference, or really whatever they want. Look up Alexander McQueen's Savage Beauty exhibit. There's very little "aspiration" there. His shows were just about a mood.

Here's something that I think is easier to grasp. This a Rick Owens showroom from the early 2000s. What you think is "shapeless" actually has a lot of shape when worn in real life. This design aesthetic is in the same vein as Zamb's stuff.

Nader393

Reaction score
Okay. I watched a few minutes of that video. And thanks for the explanation.

I'll freely admit that I don't get a lot of it. I understand the intention, but I don't think I appreciate it like others would. I think most of the "art" of fashion is beyond me. I mean, I know what I like, and it's not this. I'm more like your resident cave man, and my taste is obviously simple. I'll continue to show sturdy leather jackets in this section of the forum, if people are interested, but I'll try to refrain from commenting on fashion leathers that I don't understand or appreciate. Sometimes, especially late at night, I don't have a filter for this kind of dialogue, and I don't mean to offend others.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay. I watched a few minutes of that video. And thanks for the explanation.

I'll freely admit that I don't get a lot of it. I understand the intention, but I don't think I appreciate it like others would. I think most of the "art" of fashion is beyond me. I mean, I know what I like, and it's not this. I'm more like your resident cave man, and my taste is obviously simple. I'll continue to show sturdy leather jackets in this section of the forum, if people are interested, but I'll try to refrain from commenting on fashion leathers that I don't understand or appreciate. Sometimes, especially late at night, I don't have a filter for this kind of dialogue, and I don't mean to offend others.

You were the guy who posted a photo of himself wearing a leather jacket with a rubber horse mask, right? Imagine the "art" side of fashion like that. Like, how you wore a horse mask to convey the negativeness of the universe. The hideous lonely emptiness of existence. The nothingness. The predicament of Man forced to live in a barren, Godless eternity like a tiny flame flickering in an immense void with nothing but waste, horror and degradation, forming a useless bleak straitjacket in a black absurd cosmos.

Zamb is kinda like that.

Nader393

Reaction score
Dude, I wore that horse mask because I didn't want to show my face, because I am suspicious of the Internet. And entertainment value. That mask is hilarious, if not a bit creepy.

Bottom line, I am not like Zamb.

Maxwellll

Reaction score
Thing about them fashion lot is, they're shopping round some trendy part of NY, Paris London, wherever, they walk in a store and buy the leather off the rack and regardless of the quality, they've got the look, its soft, easily wearable and will probably be going into a wardrobe heavily rotated with other stuff to be worn maybe what? 5, 10 times a year?

Sure they could get an Eastman or some other repro but when the thing turns up stiffer than your grannies ankles, fits like **** and takes a year before its any good, thats not where the value is for them.

If the repro brands updated from their 90s geocities template websites and stopped taking product shots on their mate Jim round the back of a shed they might actually be able to attract more of that type of customer (thats if they want them).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thing about them fashion lot is, they're shopping round some trendy part of NY, Paris London, wherever, they walk in a store and buy the leather off the rack and regardless of the quality, they've got the look, its soft, easily wearable and will probably be going into a wardrobe heavily rotated with other stuff to be worn maybe what? 5, 10 times a year?

Sure they could get an Eastman or some other repro but when the thing turns up stiffer than your grannies ankles, fits like **** and takes a year before its any good, thats not where the value is for them.

If the repro brands updated from their 90s geocities template websites and stopped taking product shots on their mate Jim round the back of a shed they might actually be able to attract more of that type of customer (thats if they want them).
Appreciation of the two types of jackets are not mutually exclusive, just fwiw. Designers like Junya Watanabe specifically seek out collaborations with brands with history like Lewis Leathers and Vanson, Supreme with Levi's, etc. It's a symbiotic relationship.

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe we should break out pics of our vintage leathers to break it up a bit?

DeadBoy

Reaction score
I for one will never tire of people who post on a fashion forum about how they don't 'get' fashion.

OK back to amazing leather jackets:
65061584_1191708747677869_4013956552471930332_n.jpg

Last edited:

LaymanX

Reaction score
Well damn, thanks to LA Guy I just discovered Cromford. Anyone else have a Cromford leather jacket? How does it compare to Eastman or Goodwear?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well damn, thanks to LA Guy I just discovered Cromford. Anyone else have a Cromford leather jacket? How does it compare to Eastman or Goodwear?

My coatmaker at Steed was quite excited about them a couple of years ago. He said the work was excellent. The styles look nice online.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I for one will never tire of people who post on a fashion forum about how they don't 'get' fashion.

OK back to amazing leather jackets:
View attachment 1197278

Why does this make me think of a horror movie with a murderous butcher

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads