• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
nice photo of old styfo member maomao in a schott perfecto

49913272_2016637831754009_3237197419414448273_n.jpg

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why does it look like only the fcl biker jackets have the dual grain?

I think they pebble one side intentionally. Which can be cool if you follow this company specifically and like to know things like that, but c'mon .. to the average person who sees you on the street, they ain't gonna think "wow, he spent an entire paycheck on that and it was worth it!"

Example of pebbled left side (on the pic):

2a28b211809b53373ded15577954c485.jpg

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh and by the way guys.. if yall like the FCL but not sure about the mismatching leather texture, you can always look into Y'2 or Double Helix. From the aged pictures i've seen thus far. They both also crease and fade very well.

I have experience with both brands if anyone is interested, I am more than happy to link you to a reputable store.

I have wondered about this from a technical viewpoint. Would hide from 1 animal, despite the mismatching grain, be better as a garment in terms of durability or quality if it’s not necessary to cut and stitch panels back together than another jacket with matching grain but has multiple panels of hide stitched together.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you guys have seen these guys but I expect them to be HUGE in 2019.

View attachment 1122188

You what's funny is that I can actually remember a time (early 90's) when Wilson's carried some really high quality leathers.

But at some point they went the way of Eddie Bauer, Banana Republic and many others...

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You what's funny is that I can actually remember a time (early 90's) when Wilson's carried some really high quality leathers.

But at some point they went the way of Eddie Bauer, Banana Republic and many others...

I remember those cool hand drawn Banana Republic mail-order catalogs from the 80's. I'd pour over them until they were worn out.

brxmas84010.jpg
https _blogs-images.forbes.com_loisgeller_files_2014_11_BR-catalog.jpg

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I think they pebble one side intentionally. Which can be cool if you follow this company specifically and like to know things like that, but c'mon .. to the average person who sees you on the street, they ain't gonna think "wow, he spent an entire paycheck on that and it was worth it!"

Example of pebbled left side (on the pic):

View attachment 1122098

i know, it seems the type i-iii jackets do not have this from the pictures i've seen and it's only their biker jackets.

jayvee

Reaction score
Oh and by the way guys.. if yall like the FCL but not sure about the mismatching leather texture, you can always look into Y'2 or Double Helix. From the aged pictures i've seen thus far. They both also crease and fade very well.

I have experience with both brands if anyone is interested, I am more than happy to link you to a reputable store.

These look great, how much are we talking?

Junglejack

Reaction score
Picked up this shearling jacket from Barneys after being stuck with a credit (first ever BNY return) from a misguided adventure with a Purple Label leather hoodie. Rare for Barneys house line, made in England. While I know they subcontract any and all of their branded stuff, most all are made in Italy.

shopping.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads