• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Popped up on my feed. Heard good things about Field Leathers and could even understand a few words.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_5952.jpeg

My first five star leather order came today. It's almost dumb that you can get a jacket like this for $200. Fit on the standard M is just about perfect. I'll use this as a template for some future projects...

elongatedskull

Reaction score
View attachment 1970241
My first five star leather order came today. It's almost dumb that you can get a jacket like this for $200. Fit on the standard M is just about perfect. I'll use this as a template for some future projects...
Wow!! I might have to uh... partake in this experiment as well, purely for scientific purposes.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't go for the leather pants. Yet. But wanted to try something new and to try out Y'2 leather AND wanted to support The Shop Vancouver since it blows my mind that any Canadian city can support a men's fashion brick and mortar, with how people dress here. So of course that leads us to the mysterious and fraught world of leather vests. Never owned a vest before so might as well go big.

View attachment 1968023
Horse hide up top, blue steer hide on the bottom. Really, really nice. Might be the nicest single piece of clothing I've ever handled. Weird and wild but not so crazy that it's against societal norms or anything. The Shop Vancouver had excellent service and the sizing charts really helped me get the sizing I wanted since it would just be worn over a botton up, probably. I'll have to wait until fall to really experiment.

Quick and dirty selfie:
View attachment 1968025

I was with you, until the photo. This is terribly undersized. How do you buy a down vest that's too small over a t-shirt?

DG123

Reaction score
I was with you, until the photo. This is terribly undersized. How do you buy a down vest that's too small over a t-shirt?
Where in Trit's post did he solicit opinions about fit and, or, sizing ?
Also, in a subsequent post he explained his reasoning for the size chosen.
Please improve your reading comprehension.

Last edited:

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where in Trit's post did he solicit opinions about fit and, or, sizing ?
Also, in a subsequent post he explained his reasoning for the size chosen.
Please improve your reading comprehension.

Cool, if he just wanted to post pictures without feedback, this wasn’t the place for it. We’ve been discussing and critiquing fit here as long as the site has existed.

Why are you getting offended on his behalf?

G Khan

Reaction score
Has anyone ever successfully done leather pants? I've been tempted lately.
I have a pair of taupe/sand suede RL pants I have worn some...Wore them to a wedding in Jackson, WY with a jacket. I feel I pulled them off...can't really see them in this pic though lol.
wedding - Copy.jpg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The kid saw my new jacket, and she said it looks like "a refined terminator"...
So trucker is out the window, and that style now has a new name.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1970241
We need a proper fit picture. Put 2 tennis balls on your chest and button up your jacket.

Trit

Reaction score
We need a proper fit picture. Put 2 tennis balls on your chest and button up your jacket.

There's zero tennis ball room, unfortunately. I sized for the fit I wanted in the torso and I just got to deal with the chest. It's fine; but if you gave me another inch I'd take it.

The experimental aesthetic theory is what if the vest IS the outerwear? Mostly people want to wear a vest over their normal outerwear to get more pockets or warmth or whatever so they size it big. But I never layer anything under anything. I just want the outerwear to do 100% of the heavy lifting. So if there's never going to be any inch thick RRL bitchin' flannel under it what silhouette am I actually trying to cut? Is there any weather condition where the vest actually is better than just a leather jacket? Seems like a cool thing to wear in like 5-10 degree weather if you want a little more warmth but also don't want to overheat. But that will require more experimentation. It is a weirdly cold summer so far over here so I might get that chance.

Anyway, all hot takes are welcome. I'm not defending this fit in any way. I do actually love the vest AND I make fun of men all the time for wearing too-tight clothes. So I'll take my lumps.

vest front.jpg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shiit.
I accidentally exposed my sock….

MrProper

Reaction score
There's zero tennis ball room, unfortunately. I sized for the fit I wanted in the torso and I just got to deal with the chest. It's fine; but if you gave me another inch I'd take it.

The experimental aesthetic theory is what if the vest IS the outerwear? Mostly people want to wear a vest over their normal outerwear to get more pockets or warmth or whatever so they size it big. But I never layer anything under anything. I just want the outerwear to do 100% of the heavy lifting. So if there's never going to be any inch thick RRL bitchin' flannel under it what silhouette am I actually trying to cut? Is there any weather condition where the vest actually is better than just a leather jacket? Seems like a cool thing to wear in like 5-10 degree weather if you want a little more warmth but also don't want to overheat. But that will require more experimentation. It is a weirdly cold summer so far over here so I might get that chance.

Anyway, all hot takes are welcome. I'm not defending this fit in any way. I do actually love the vest AND I make fun of men all the time for wearing too-tight clothes. So I'll take my lumps.

View attachment 1971179
I am also team tight fit, even with vests. I like vests when it's a little cooler, but not cool enough for a jacket. Just a bodywarmer.

suedefetish

Reaction score
such a cool jacket. sleeves still long for my trex arms even after shortening :( lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads