• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's good, @sinnedk. You know, for the life of me I can't find the photo of you and Wiliam DuVall with you wearing the Leon. Do you have any pics of it? I'm curious about the sizing again, although I gotta admit the pandemic actually saw me put on some weight, so I'm considering a 42.

Yea sure

Attachments

• A0559447-02B6-4917-BA38-9E0ABB2F1AE3.jpeg
    A0559447-02B6-4917-BA38-9E0ABB2F1AE3.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 966D964A-3CA4-40CF-9327-FB399F8BDC50.jpeg
    966D964A-3CA4-40CF-9327-FB399F8BDC50.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 128

CWV

Reaction score
Any good place to buy Valstar or Valstar-like jackets in Italy (Rome, florence or Venice), London or Paris?

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for everyone: Is Fine Creek Leathers still a thing? As in, a wanted jacket (models aside)?

Good to see the king back.

To your question, I think the hype machine about them has faded somewhat, especially as people have noticed that the actual jackets don’t look like their promo photos and that the sizing is usually really weird. There are undoubtedly people who’ve gotten good jackets out of them, but this seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

For instance, look at the cuffs on this jacket. The bagginess would be fine if they were unzipped, but this is fully zipped, when they should be as snug as possible.

1679968580870.jpeg

To an extent I think the interest in them was driven by a sense that their high price must mean they’re a premium alternative, but once a lot of people were handling the jackets, that didn’t hold up in the same way. The leather (generally the driver of cost) was often quite flat and unimpressive, the workmanship good but not exceptional like RC, and the patterning (the most important part of a garment) wonky. The other side of it was that some stores in the US pushed FCL really hard for a few years there (I experienced the attempt myself) and I think some people bought out of that encouragement/momentum, then got buyer’s remorse and sold their jackets at a steep discount.

That’s my read, anyway, on why the FCL hype bubble has shrunk.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And lo and behold, another hole! Just like my story. And you peeps thought the problem was me...

To step back just a bit, while I still think your downsizing played a role, that was definitely not all of it. Even with downsizing, that just wouldn’t happen on a Schott or Vanson or Aero, for instance. Or even on many mall brands.
A lot of these ‘premium’ makes (I put that in quotes because I don’t think this is an objectively better feature) like some of the Japanese firms or Himel in Canada insist on using high stitch counts and deeply skived seams; in practice, this perforates the leather along the seam like the edge of a postage stamp. Apply pressure and…

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To step back just a bit, while I still think your downsizing played a role, that was definitely not all of it. Even with downsizing, that just wouldn’t happen on a Schott or Vanson or Aero, for instance. Or even on many mall brands.
A lot of these ‘premium’ makes (I put that in quotes because I don’t think this is an objectively better feature) like some of the Japanese firms or Himel in Canada insist on using high stitch counts and deeply skived seams; in practice, this perforates the leather along the seam like the edge of a postage stamp. Apply pressure and…

To echo what you said, I have never experience popped stitches in any leather jacket.

My FCL Leon custom held up just fine and I put it through a lot IMO.

Either way a jacket should hold up.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My FCL Leon custom held up just fine and I put it through a lot IMO.

I think downsizing inflicts wear and tear on a garment quicker than just wearing it hard, because the pressure on the seams is constant.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That said, and this was my second point, the seams should not be popping like that. I have 80 year old jackets that don’t tear the way FW/RC and FCL will under the same circumstances.

(Sorry, hit post too early.)

suedefetish

Reaction score
Did they take the sleeves in at the shoulder? Every iron heart jacket I've seen has had the crazy NBA sleeves

RE: fine creek, I have a high large jacket and I'm super impressed with it. I believe that's just fine creek doing jean jacket patterns.

Last edited:

Jerkstore

Reaction score
I love my FCL jacket, but I think it's because it's the Alonzo and it has a more western fit. I am a US Large and wear a 42 (lines up).

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think downsizing inflicts wear and tear on a garment quicker than just wearing it hard, because the pressure on the seams is constant.

100% and combined with thick horse leather that doesn’t stretch much I can see how seams can rip.

I do know that for a tight fit you’d want something like kangaroo or lamb.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads