• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "elevated" thing can be funny. Sometimes, it really works. An everyday item made in a more refined way, losing its sloppiness.

Sometimes, like with the "SLP moto", it seems to be a joke on the wearer. "Look like a 70s rock star in a Lewis Leathers/Perfecto jacket with this jacket that looks like a mall jacket mashup of those but costs thrice as much!"

G Khan

Reaction score
This is the SOP Laer jacket in Large. I am 6' 1" 200 lbs. Was back and forth between getting a L or an XL based on the listed measurements. Out of the box it is a little tight in the shoulders when I bring them forward/widen my back, but I think it has already begun breaking in some. I really like it and think it fits great. The leather is mid-weight. Feels and smells really good (LOL). My first DR. Will probably get a heavier HH Aero Ridley from Thurston Bros. next.

SOP jacket pic_cut.jpg

Last edited:

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the SOP Laer jacket in Large. I am 6' 1" 200 lbs. Was back and forth between getting a L or an XL based on the listed measurements. Out of the box it is a little tight in the shoulders when I bring them forward/widen my back, but I think it has already begun breaking in some. I really like it and think it fits great. The leather is mid-weight. Feels and smells really good (LOL). My first DR. Will probably get a heavier HH Aero Ridley from Thurston Bros. next.
What size did you go with? Is it zipped up in that pic?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Large. It is unzipped. Just made the pic larger.
Not sure if it's got an action-back but that's probably why you feel the tightness. Seems like it fits based on your picture, hopefully works zipped up too

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1865575

I don’t know if this makes sense but this looks both bigger and smaller than my undersized (it was a one-off and too cool to pass up) rider jacket at the same time. Maybe it’s the shape?

Of course, you’ll have a better feeling for how it fits since you’re actually wearing it.

G Khan

Reaction score
Not sure if it's got an action-back but that's probably why you feel the tightness. Seems like it fits based on your picture, hopefully works zipped up too

A little bit of an action back, but not much. It zips up fine. I can fit a tennis ball in there lol. Fully zipped up to the neck/collarbone area, the lapels/collar sits a little funny/asymmetrical and it a little tight, but I don't expect to ever wear it like that and if I did, I think it would break in/loosen up. Now I need to get a bike! lol

G Khan

Reaction score
I don’t know if this makes sense but this looks both bigger and smaller than my undersized (it was a one-off and too cool to pass up) rider jacket at the same time. Maybe it’s the shape?

Of course, you’ll have a better feeling for how it fits since you’re actually wearing it.

Not following you...did you buy the same jacket from SOP? The shape of your body may make it fit different for sure.

I have a 12" drop (45" chest to 33" waist), which leads me to alter lots of my shirts and off the rack stuff sometimes doesn't fit right. Glad this one worked out!

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little bit of an action back, but not much. It zips up fine. I can fit a tennis ball in there lol. Fully zipped up to the neck/collarbone area, the lapels/collar sits a little funny/asymmetrical and it a little tight, but I don't expect to ever wear it like that and if I did, I think it would break in/loosen up. Now I need to get a bike! lol
Cool man, glad it worked out and you found something you liked

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The true test is 2 tennis balls on the chest. We need a picture of that to determine if the jacket fits.

G Khan

Reaction score
Dude who runs SOP has a history of being extremely rude and abusive to both potential clients and employees.

I had a great experience ordering from them. I called to talk about the sizing and spoke to the owner. Ordered online and was satisfied with the process and product. That was my experience with SOP. I would definitely do business with them again.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up the Todd Snyder Dylan suede trucker during the sale. I deem it a good jacket but am still determining how I feel about it being "medium blue". It was an economic decision not to throw an additional $200 toward one of the present-season colors. Had I done so, the burnt orange or "cappuccino" would probably have been more versatile options. Although I kind of hate the concept of versatility.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not following you...did you buy the same jacket from SOP? The shape of your body may make it fit different for sure.

I have a 12" drop (45" chest to 33" waist), which leads me to alter lots of my shirts and off the rack stuff sometimes doesn't fit right. Glad this one worked out!

No I just meant how the jacket fits, but your explanation about the large drop explains it to a large extent!

That also leads me to suggest that when you get your Aero, go for the Indian Ranger or the Motorcycle Jacket models not the Ridley. This might take some insistence with Thurston because they co-developed the Ridley so they’re understandably proud of it. The Ridley is a slim-straight cut with a small drop, but the IR and MC have like a 10 inch (12 in the case of IR) drop. A 42 would basically look tailored on you without alterations.

I picked up the Todd Snyder Dylan suede trucker during the sale. I deem it a good jacket but am still determining how I feel about it being "medium blue". It was an economic decision not to throw an additional $200 toward one of the present-season colors. Had I done so, the burnt orange or "cappuccino" would probably have been more versatile options. Although I kind of hate the concept of versatility.

Medium like a kind of faded denim color? That could look great, especially with the texture of suede.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads